• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

two questions about fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kikkler

Registered
1) - i'm plugging my case fans right now - each one has two molexes - female and male. is it possible to chain them (first fan's male goes into second fan's female and second fan's male into power supply female and so on.. sorry if i mixed between the male and female), or i'm suppose to connect different PSU molex into each one of them ?
2) I've bought enemrax fan controller to control my fan's rpm and noise - problem is that it comes with 3-pin connectors, and i dont see anything that resembles it and connected to my fans (I have to state that they're all generic). is it a simple 3pin to 4pin converter thingy, or i'm just dumb and bought a fan controller for uncontrollable fans ?

They will both run on 12v, as a parallel connection will be made, there is no real limit as to how many you can hook up after one and other, exept that you do lose a bit of the juice due to cable length, and offcourse, less then perfect connections in the molex...

Best of luck!
B!

You can buy 4pin to 3 pin adapters to hook it into your fan controller.

What I do is since I have alot of unused fans with 3 pin connectors is just cut off the 3 pin connector from an unused fan, and then cut off the 4 pin molex connector (FROM THE FAN,NOT THE MOLEX CONNECTOR FROM THE power supply) , splice the red and black wire to the 3 pin connector and plug it in the fan controller.

I go the extra step and take another 3 pin fan connector and rip out the Red and Black wires, I take the white wire from the fan and connect it to the white wire on the 3 pin connector and plug that into my mobo so I can monitor the rpms

PS and yes you can 'daisy chain' the Molex's together to add additional devises to the molex.

For your hard drive its best to not have any to many devises on that molex from the power supply, the same goes for high end video cards, as they need clean power from the power supply

Regarding 3 pin fan headers you can buy adapters 4 pin to 3 pin at SVC as well as other vendors, or you can get a bunch of cheap fans with 3 pin headers and cannobolize them :)

yeah, since its in parallel, you can daisy chain them......no problem with that at all really.

and i do the same as silversinksam. i just cut wires, and splice them. if i want a temp solution, i'll just splice them, and use some electrical tape. if i want a more permanent solution, i solder them.

Back