• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver 5 info!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
New arctic silver info !
Once again, our research efforts have proven successful and a new and better Arctic Silver is ready.

We will release Arctic Silver 5 on October 20, 2003.
AS5 is the second product in our new generation of high-density thermal compounds and has several significant advantages over our previous silver compounds.

The polysynthetic suspension fluid is improved.
The new mix of non-silicone synthetic oils is more stable than the mix used in Arctic Silver 3. This further enhances the long-term performance of Arctic Silver 5, especially under high-vibration or other difficult conditions.

The average particle size is smaller. (Less than 0.45 microns <0.000018 inch)
The microscopic thermally conductive particles in Arctic Silver 5 fill the voids between the core and the heatsink more completely to provide improved thermal transfer.

The compound is more dense.
The sizes of the individual filler particles are designed so that the smaller particles better fill the interstices between the larger particles than with our previous compounds. While most thermal compounds contain 30% to 50% thermally conductive filler by weight, Arctic Silver 5 contains almost 90% thermally conductive filler by weight.

The application is easier.
Like Ceramique, Arctic Silver 5 is not spread out on the P4 heat spreader. A small dab of AS5 is placed on the center of the heat spreader and the pressure from the heatsink spreads it out to form an air-free minimum bond line.
You can see the Ceramique instructions here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramiq...ructions.htm#b1

And most important, the performance is much better.

Retail Arctic Silver 5 will be available in two sizes, a 3.5 gram tube and a 12 gram tube (3cc). The 3.5 gram tube will come in a grey colored version of our Ceramique syringe. This syringe is specifically designed for high-density thermal compounds and features a very smooth and easy to use action that aids in dispensing and application. The grey color and silver label will distinguish it from Ceramique's white syringe and label. The 12 gram tube will come in a 5cc luer slip type medical syringe with approximately 3cc of compound.

The suggested U.S. retail price for Arctic Silver 5 is $7.95 for the 3.5 gram tube and $19.95 for the 12 gram tube (3cc)

This info was not provided to me by Arctic Silver, but the info IS from Arctic Silver

madness!

my PC is less then a year old and i feel so out of date...first with the CPU, now the form factor, and now...the thermal compound

ACK!

all i can say is WOW thats expensive ;x hehe 20 dollars for the 12 gram tube.. unless this stuff is alot better than ceramique.. id ont see the point in switching

cherryp00t said:
all i can say is WOW thats expensive ;x hehe 20 dollars for the 12 gram tube.. unless this stuff is alot better than ceramique.. id ont see the point in switching

LOL, nobody is telling you to buy the 12 Gram tube, the 3.5gram tube will last you a long time. I've tried this AS5 and its good stuff. (thats all I can say unfortunately)

wannaoc said:
What happen to 4? :p Sounds like some good stuff but I still like my Ceramique. Thanks for the info.

Must be the Mad scientist Nevin over at Arctic Silver Central doesn't know how to add well, but luckily for us he does know how to make superior thermal compounds :rolleyes:

I think this is how Nevin came to name the new compound,

1+2-7>3-1², since they already used the name Arctic Silver, Arctic Silver2 and Arctic Silver3, they took the square root of 5 divide it by 48² and added 3, so naturally the new name will be Arctic silver 5 :p

L337 M33P said:
Heh doing a bit of NDA-bound testing are we SSS?

I didn't sign a NDA per se, but my word is stronger than thine pen

Interesting. Well my small ceramique tube is almost out after about 4 months. I guess I will order some when it comes out. What about that Thermal compund that is supposed to be really cheap and effictive and its used industrily or somthing. Is it based on that stuff?

Sorry, I can never resist responding to certain points in releases like this, whether for good or bad. :rolleyes:

Silversinksam said:
The polysynthetic suspension fluid is improved.
The new mix of non-silicone synthetic oils is more stable than the mix used in Arctic Silver 3. This further enhances the long-term performance of Arctic Silver 5, especially under high-vibration or other difficult conditions.
High-vibration like under a heatsink with a Tornado mounted on it? I doubt the new mixture will noticeably affect most of the consumers; this improvement is mostly for the exotic, expensive, non-home-use type applications, I bet. Overclocked car computers maybe?

Silversinksam said:
The average particle size is smaller. (Less than 0.45 microns <0.000018 inch)
The microscopic thermally conductive particles in Arctic Silver 5 fill the voids between the core and the heatsink more completely to provide improved thermal transfer.
I wasn't able to find the particle size for AS3, but Ceramique measures in at 0.38 micron per particle. I figure that if an Arctic Silver had the same micron size as Ceramique, it would be superior because of the higher particulate conductivity; but a lot is dependent on the thermal conductivity of the liquid medium as well, regardless of particle size.

Silversinksam said:
The compound is more dense.
The sizes of the individual filler particles are designed so that the smaller particles better fill the interstices between the larger particles than with our previous compounds. While most thermal compounds contain 30% to 50% thermally conductive filler by weight, Arctic Silver 5 contains almost 90% thermally conductive filler by weight.
AS3 is 75% silver by weight, plus an undisclosed amount of boron nitride. How much of this 90% is boron nitride? Also, it's a bit unfair to compare filler by weight against other greases when silver is much denser to begin with, isn't it?

Silversinksam said:
The application is easier.
Like Ceramique, Arctic Silver 5 is not spread out on the P4 heat spreader. A small dab of AS5 is placed on the center of the heat spreader and the pressure from the heatsink spreads it out to form an air-free minimum bond line.
You can see the Ceramique instructions here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramiq...ructions.htm#b1
Does AS5 have the same consistency as Ceramique? I've found Ceramique to be unreliable to apply (but it performs really great once you get it on there). Spreading obviously doesn't work, and a small dab, at least on my Barton core, spreads into a circle that doesn't cover the die lengthwise, and accumulates over the edges of the width of the die.

Oh, and I've decided what the consistency of Ceramique is most like: marshmallow, melted and now cooling. :D

Silversinksam said:
And most important, the performance is much better.
I'm guessing you can't give us the thermal conductivity/resistance, eh?

Heh heh, sorry for all that. I couldn't resist a good old-fashioned inquisition. ;)

Re: Re: Arctic Silver 5 info!!!!!

Restorer said:
Sorry, I can never resist responding to certain points in releases like this, whether for good or bad. :rolleyes:

High-vibration like under a heatsink with a Tornado mounted on it? I doubt the new mixture will noticeably affect most of the consumers; this improvement is mostly for the exotic, expensive, non-home-use type applications, I bet. Overclocked car computers maybe?

I wasn't able to find the particle size for AS3, but Ceramique measures in at 0.38 micron per particle. I figure that if an Arctic Silver had the same micron size as Ceramique, it would be superior because of the higher particulate conductivity; but a lot is dependent on the thermal conductivity of the liquid medium as well, regardless of particle size.

AS3 is 75% silver by weight, plus an undisclosed amount of boron nitride. How much of this 90% is boron nitride? Also, it's a bit unfair to compare filler by weight against other greases when silver is much denser to begin with, isn't it?

Does AS5 have the same consistency as Ceramique? I've found Ceramique to be unreliable to apply (but it performs really great once you get it on there). Spreading obviously doesn't work, and a small dab, at least on my Barton core, spreads into a circle that doesn't cover the die lengthwise, and accumulates over the edges of the width of the die.

Oh, and I've decided what the consistency of Ceramique is most like: marshmallow, melted and now cooling. :D

Heh heh, sorry for all that. I couldn't resist a good old-fashioned inquisition. ;)

Arctic Silver probably is hiring a hit man to take me out since this info was posted a little bit ahead of thier release and official announcment.

I gotta go lock my doors now.

PS I will see if I can get you the answers you seek, stay tuned.

Silversinksam said:

LOL, nobody is telling you to buy the 12 Gram tube, the 3.5gram tube will last you a long time. I've tried this AS5 and its good stuff. (thats all I can say unfortunately)
I've a 1.75 gram tube of AA that I've used on every northbridge, GPU, vid ram and southbridge chip (and a few MOSFETS too;)) I could get my hands on, and it's still about 20% full. 3.5 grams should last a good long time.

Re: Re: Arctic Silver 5 info!!!!!

Restorer said:

High-vibration as in 7000 RPM fans, many of which are out of balance.

The particle size for AS5 is significantly smaller than AS3.

AS3 is 82% particulates by weight.

You need a bigger dab! ;)

Since there is no accepted method of testing the thermal conductivity of a grease under pressure and we can get 10 different results if we test 10 different ways, we are trying to get away from quoting thermal conductivity and thermal resistance figures for our products. We have recently seen several companies list "Proprietary" or their own company name for the testing method they used to determine the thermal conductivity of their compounds. Others give a figure, but then note that it is for comparison only and should not be relied upon as being accurate. Still others reference measurement standards that are not applicable to greases. For example, ASTM D5470 , which is for testing SOLID materials.

Until the industry can settle on an accurate method of measuring thermal grease performance, we plan to remove the thermal conductivity and thermal resistance specifications as we release new versions of our products.

Colin Thompson
Arctic Silver, Inc.

Re: Re: Re: Arctic Silver 5 info!!!!!

Silversinksam said:

Arctic Silver probably is hiring a hit man to take me out since this info was posted a little bit ahead of thier release and official announcment.

I gotta go lock my doors now.

PS I will see if I can get you the answers you seek, stay tuned.

you naughty naughty little boy :D

when you can tell us how much it helped you temps

Errr, can you say by a lot :D? I wish I read this earlier. Just bought some ceramique today.

Soja said:
Errr, can you say by a lot :D? I wish I read this earlier. Just bought some ceramique today.

LOL, Nevin over at Arctic Silver probably will remove me from his trusted list of friends for releasing this info, but I am not releasing anything but the press release that isn't exactly public at this time. (Colin told me that the next beta product I am sent will be a tube of Arctic silver 6, and the syringe will be filled with Crest toothpaste or some dog poo) :p

PS Don't feel bad about using ceramique, its a good product.

Silversinksam said:

LOL, Nevin over at Arctic Silver probably will remove me from his trusted list of friends for releasing this info, but I am not releasing anything but the press release that isn't exactly public at this time. (Colin told me that the next beta product I am sent will be a tube of Arctic silver 6, and the syringe will be filled with Crest toothpaste or some dog poo) :p

PS Don't feel bad about using ceramique, its a good product.

mannn... never betray trust....:rolleyes:

:D:D:D

Back