• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS2 to Ceramique dropped my temps 7c?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soja

So I was running out of this 2-3 year old AS2 tube and decided to pick up some ceramique I saw at fry's. I was weary about my purchase since the tube was small and pricey compared to my old as2. I just took off my waterblock (which is real annoying :mad: ) and applied this thick taffy-like ceramique :p. Lo and behold my load temps are 7c lower (same ambient temps~). Pretty amazed and satisfied with my purchase. Although, while cleaning off my AS2 I noticed that bits of as2 hardened onto the core of my chip and became like silver flakes which took a bit of effort to "pick" off. So maybe it wasn't only the ceramique that attributed to such a big temp drop :rolleyes:

Rubbed it down with alcohol and nudged it with my fingernail for a while.

lol, used 600 or 800 grit on the core eh?
i know you meant WB, but he said it was stuck on the core

in any case, that drop of temps is amazing - i don't think most people are seeing a drop like that, (in fact i think its performance is pretty much comparable to AS3, no?), so i think you must have mounted it better the second time

I don't think I mounted it better. I've remounted this block at least 6-7 times just tweaking my watercooling and various hardware changes/mods.

I was useing some Antec paste and a cheap Coolermaster HSF to cool my xp2100. My temps used to be around 43 on idle and 58 during load. I just bought a Zalman 7000aCU with some Ceramique and now its 30 idle and 43 during load.

I know a big part of that is the HSF but I'm sure the Ceramique is part of it also. Some day I might re apply the Antec paste to see the diffrince between the the paste, but for now I am happy with both the Zalman and Ceramique.

When I changed out my CPU last week, I switched from a generic compound to ceramique.

Dropped 15c!

Granted my new chip (xp2400) probably runs cooler than the (1.4 tbird)... but thats a big difference! Same cpu fan (vantec aeroflow), same case...

I even cleaned off the old paste with a paper towel and rubbing alcohol... so I think I could redo it with some patience and a proper cleaning!

I was pretty amazed. Amazed in part that I kept the tbird running for so long at 53c :)

Coolermaster.. Hhum, Come to think of it, thats actually the best thermal grease i can get in town, "Coolermaster Premium" some icky grey stuff, with the quality of a dead rats droppings... Well, ok, so it works, and its not ALL bad, but help me someone *- ) it sure aint to good.... But, i might just as well shut up, right now, untill i get something else then the stock cooler, i will be running on the thermal pad, included with the P4C i got...

No, i know, i dident bring much usefull stuff to the thread, sorry, wont do it again for 5 mins or so...
B!

Back