• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worst possible startup? er non-startup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuda

I finally got the new machine together and powered it up this afternoon (see sig). Nothing happened. Well, that's not exactly true. The fans came on but no POST, no beep, code FF on the board. Suggestions?

Cuda said:
I finally got the new machine together and powered it up this afternoon (see sig). Nothing happened. Well, that's not exactly true. The fans came on but no POST, no beep, code FF on the board. Suggestions?

What does the documentation say that FF means? Make sure the speaker is plugged in properly. I would say that if nothing happens its probably a board or CPU problem - check that the BIOS reset jumper is in the correct position.

Book says:

Post code FF:
1)Bios chip inserted incorrectly.

2)Incorrect bios update version.

3)Mainboard problem.

4)Add on card inserted incorrectly.

I just started getting the same error.
I think my board died overnight somehow.
It also shows FF and I've trying everything to get it to work.
I'm using a 8RDA3+, but its doing the exact same thing

Take the thing to bits, inc Mobo out of case. Use 1 stick of RAM, CPU & cooling gear, Video card (make sure it is properly in) and mobo itself. Attach PSU and try getting that alone to boot.

Have you updated the BIOS at all lately? Make sure the battery and BIOS chip are in properly.

I have done nothing to the BIOS, since I just got it together today. The battery appears to be in correctly. I will do as you suggested and strip the machine to the bare necessities and try again.

It's ALIVE!!! I found the problem to be the temp sensor I installed inder the cpu for the smartfan. I prevented the cpu from seating all the way down. I would never have found it without removing the motherboard. I have since moved the sensor to along side the cpu core under the heat sink.

Thanks so much for the advice David! Because of you, I am typing this on the new rig!!!!

same thing happened to me posted FF, sent for a new one all good now - although i still wish that i bought an asus

Stuff happens.

I have two EPOX's, 8RDA and 8RGA+ and love them both.

Just because you got a bad one don't jump the EPOX ship because they make a fine MB. A while back I ordered a SOLTEK and it was dead as a door nail so I RMA'd it to newegg and got anew one and it worked slic kas a whistle. Reason I went EPOX is because Soltek pulled their support out of the US to Taiwan. Who lnows why we get bad MB's? Maybe it was mishandled during shipping which is no fault of the MB maker. They all have to pass quality control tests and I doubt they put bad MB's in the box to ship out so something must have happened to cause it to malfunction when we install them.

Whatever the case, please give EPOX another chance because I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. One review said, "EPOX MB's have an almost "cult like following" and I agree.

When you hear the beep that simply means the BIOS is happy with what it sees and everything is up and ready to run and the beep means the BIOS is turning control of the computer over to the OS. The beep lets us know the BIOS chip is working and the comonents, drives, etc. are all present and accounted for. Simply put, the BIOS is the Drill Sgt that wakes everybody up and makes sure they are all there ready to go work.

Back