• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling an NF7-S 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overcrocked

I finally got an decent chip to overclock [1700+ JUIHB DLT3C], and I wanna keep it and the board as cool as I can. I notice my mosfets get quite hot, would cooling these bring down my CPU temp or just the board temp? Also, what advantage is there to cooling the SB. I don't use the onboard sound. I know that if the board gets too hot than it'll effect the soundstorm 5.1, but that isn't a problem. So, Like I said is there any advantage to putting a heatsink on the SB? Also, I have no problems getting my FSB above to 200 with APIC enabled. Is there any point in turning it off and doing a fresh install, or am I fine?

-Overcrocked

As for the mosfets I don't think cooling them is going to really effect your cpu temp. If you are passivly cooling them the hot air is still going to be in the general area after all.

There may not be any advantage for you to cool your sb. Even if I was not using onboard sound though I don't like the idea that it gets so scalding hot...

If you are happy with the amount of FSB you are getting then I personally would not bother disabling APIC. It can sometimes have adverse sideeffects on other parts of system performance (hence its existance in the first place). Some people have good luck with it and some people do not. If you wanna squeeze every last bit of FSB then try it. Personally I found that I was not getting any benefit from it being disabled and I felt that system performance (in particular my HD benchmarks) were adversly effected.

Well this is what i did. I had 2 stock AMD sinks, 1 from a pally and one from a tbred B. T trimmed the Tbred one and stuck it on NB. Its a huge passive cooler and i have good airflow so it works great. The other pally heatsink. I cut 1/3 of it and put it on SB. Than i cut up another part of it into little sinks and put them on mosfets and pll chips. Thats all i did. Seems to work pretty well too and it loosk awesome too.

Constantinos said:
Well this is what i did. I had 2 stock AMD sinks, 1 from a pally and one from a tbred B. T trimmed the Tbred one and stuck it on NB. Its a huge passive cooler and i have good airflow so it works great. The other pally heatsink. I cut 1/3 of it and put it on SB. Than i cut up another part of it into little sinks and put them on mosfets and pll chips. Thats all i did. Seems to work pretty well too and it loosk awesome too.

how do you attach them to your mobo ? drilling holes or what ? i have few spare stocks hsf and love to cool my NB&SB.
thx

most likely thermal epoxy, its definitly strong enough to hold.

My buddy AS3 epoxied some p4 heatsink to his 9700 pro and when he tried to get it off to try and watercool it he ripped the core right off the card....definitly strong stuff.

thanks DipstickTOny..
Do you know where on the web I can get a good deal on this Epoxy
i know google can search. But I would like someone recommend me a good place from their experience.

thnx

Back