• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best memory brand, type, and technology?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

Before I say anything Please ignore the "thumbs down" icon. I didn't select that intentionally, and I can't change it. Just wanted to explain the odd icon in case anyone was curious

I really don't know enough about newer memory, and I just thought I would ask for some information on it. I would like to know what the best brand is for overclocking, and overall performance. Also what is with this dual channel stuff, and hyper technology? If anyone could give me some information and a couple of links I would be grateful. Also a sort of off topic bonus question. I am actually a little upset, I seam to be forgetting a lot of my computer knowledge, and I don't know why. I guess it has something to do with the fact that I don't use it enough. Does this happen to anybody else here? I'm just wandering if I'm the only one. Well thanks for the information all

BH-5 are the best DDR chips. Mushkin has the best PCB for the chips. If you have an AMD system pc3500 speed shoudl be enoguh speed. For a p4 maybe pc4000 or pc4200 would be better.

but I need my arms and legs! NOOOO heh, well, hmm...what about corsair or OCZ? I thought they were good. Also, how will memory and the Athlon 64 work? Will it just use the same types of ddr memory we have now? I would assume yes, but I may be wrong. thanks.

Corsair is OK but OCZ has mixed reviews I like Crucial my self as they tend to be stable in their quality control and I have never had any memory problems on light OCs with them

first batch of A64 will use DDRI... later on they'll switch to DDR2

corsair and OCZ ram is fine.. but the muskin ram is better =d they use BH5 CHIPS and can attain high FSBS with Low timings =d

usually for corsair and OCZ the timings are higher which is where the performance diff shows up =p

Ok, mushkin it is then, I don't care how much they cost (well ok that is a flat out lie, but I don't have any other choice) I need the best ram anyone has to offer. Also, isn't performance at it's best if the ram speed is equal to the CPU's FSB? If this is the case then how will that work with the Athlon 64, since it's FSB is the core speed of the processor. Also, DDRI? DDR2? what is the difference? Thanks everyone!

DDR1 is a single channel..just like the ram that you've grown to love.. DDR2 is dual channel..it doubles the bandwith, and that is all...but that is very good..lol..for DDR2 you need identical sticks of RAM..which is more expensive..but well worth it if you care about performance..

No. DDR2 is the next level of ddr. I think it might be on a few geforce cards, but generally speaking, it isn't available yet.

I have checked prices for mushkin, corsair, and OCZ, and found that mushkin was 225 for a 512 stick PC4000. Ok, so in a single channel DDR system, you only need one stick, but in a dual channel, you need a matching pair, right? So does that mean that ANY memory can be used for dual channel, as long as you get an EXACT matching pair? Anyway, back to the pricing I found. I found that for 1GB of mushkin PC4000 ram it was 450 bucks, for 1GB of corsair XMS4000 Twin pair ram, it was about 350 bucks, and for OCZ, the price for 1GB was about 400. Is corsair better then OCZ even though their memory is cheaper? Also, on corsairs site, they mention that their memory is guaranteed to overclock without void of warranty. And on mushkins they say this:

"Overclocking is not officially supported. Please check your motherboard manual for more information."

They don't mention anything about a warranty here, although they do say tampering with the heat spreader will void the warranty, but that is different. I haven't checked OCZ's website about overclocking and warranty, in fact, I haven't checked their site much lately for some reason, don't know why though.

I just double checked and found that my prices are way off lol. I have corrected the prices and the message to go with it.

Last edited:
NCtramp said:
just got myself 2x512 coarsair TWIN4000PRO from www.monarchcomputer.com for $382 free shipping!

The ones with the flashy LED's? cool! They aren't that much more then the regular ones either

On a side note, I think I am going to change my Avatar, it has been the same DBZ one for a while, and though I still like my current Avatar, I think it is time for a change.

Last edited:
Just an FYI: OCZ will support our product even if it has been overclocked or if you run it beyond spec voltage, timings, etc.

:)

Dont forget Buffalo PC3700 also has BH-5 chips, and they are only $99 for a 512 stick at newegg (i ordered myself 2 last Thursday...they arrive today :))

Cool, Well, I have heard from and OCZ employee (very unexpected BTW :D ) now I just need somebody that works for corsair and mushkin to try and win me over :p Seriously though, one of the most important things to me will be warranty, if I overclock it and it goes bye bye, I want to be able to get it replaced free...you know what? I just remembered why I started this forum, it was for my cousin, he wants a computer, so I was going to help put one together for him, but I didn't know enough about newer memory, or newer memory pricing lol. I just completely forgot about my original purpose, and started asking for myself heh

soundfx4 said:

The ones with the flashy LED's? cool! They aren't that much more then the regular ones either

On a side note, I think I am going to change my Avatar, it has been the same DBZ one for a while, and though I still like my current Avatar, I think it is time for a change.

ram is supa

hehe people call the ram "PimP PRO RAM"

if business is good the led's will flash for you very bright:)

nctramp

btw is supa ram & fast:)

evnas

I had bought 2x 512 Buffalo 3700 from newegg and had to send them back because I could not get them into the ram slots on any of my mobos. other people had similar problems.

I replaced them with 2x512 Corsair Twin4000PRO (called "PIMP PRP RAM) and have no problems.

Mushkin gives you a 2 weeks no question ask warranty. We stand behind all of our products. You can post on our forums also for tech questions or call in and talk to a live person.
If there is ever any problems with our prodcuts, we will advance replace it for you.

Duonger

Back