• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon64 Release

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hopefully ;) but I definatly would not count on it. Most releases of other stuff I was anticipating it seems that newegg was not very quick to have up for sale. I suspect though that alot of places advertising that they have the newest and greatest whatever in the day it comes out is actually not being very truthful and that newegg is probably just being honest regarding their stock of it.

Dealtime is supposed to have A64's already in stock and on sale, but they probably won't ship them until after the launch, you can look into it if you want though.

The Athlon64 has more pins than the Athlon XP? AHH... man I was hoping to still be able to use my old mobo. I probably wont buy one untill they come out with a good stepping though, witch won't be soon, probably next year, I do need a good Athlon64 before World of Warcraft comes out though.

Molester said:
the new 64 will still only be 32-bit compatible, or did i read something wrong????

The Athlon64 will be 32-64bit. There is a new "64" chip that is coming out to extend the duron line that won't actually do 64bit, but the Athlon64 xxxx+ will.

As far as comparisons go, it looks like the new rebadged Xeon(P4EE) will offer a slight boost in gaming, and will probably be able to match or just beat a 3200+ A64, but the Fx-51 will probably still be the clear winner, though this is all just early numbers, we'll have to wait for actual reviews to know for sure.

See that's were the people who said that first lost me. No clinically sane marketing manager would allow a CPU to have anything resembling '64' in the title if a processor can only do 32.

It's not going to be a 64. It'll be labeled XP or something else.

Athlon64 will do 64. Period.

If it doesn't, we will have officially entered the end game for AMD, which we won't.

c627627 said:
See that's were the people who said that first lost me. No clinically sane marketing manager would allow a CPU to have anything resembling '64' in the title if a processor can only do 32.

It's not going to be a 64. It'll be labeled XP or something else.

Athlon64 will do 64. Period.

If it doesn't, we will have officially entered the end game for AMD, which we won't.

Ya, I'm pretty sure the new chip is suppose to be based off the same core as the hammer, but without the 64bit processing and will probably be called Duron without using the pr rating.

]-[itman said:

The Athlon64 will be 32-64bit. There is a new "64" chip that is coming out to extend the duron line that won't actually do 64bit, but the Athlon64 xxxx+ will.

As far as comparisons go, it looks like the new rebadged Xeon(P4EE) will offer a slight boost in gaming, and will probably be able to match or just beat a 3200+ A64, but the Fx-51 will probably still be the clear winner, though this is all just early numbers, we'll have to wait for actual reviews to know for sure.

Fx-51? Whats that?

FX-51 is the high end model of the athlon 64.. the main difference from the A64 right now its the dual channel.. but the current model of the FX-51 also uses registered ram... a newer version is supposed to be released next year that will allow the A64 FX to run on dual channel non reg memory.

GlitchOfDoom said:

Fx-51? Whats that?

It's AMD's extreme chip. It's basically a Opteron, but that was just to get the FX line launched in time. Starting at the end of this year, early next, we'll see "independant" FX chips which hopefully won't require registered RAM.

Man am I glad I found this thread.

I've been out of the loop for a couple of days(really months)

The Opteron is compteing with the Itanium, 64bit server market, SMP and registered memory.

The Athlon64 FX is competing with the P4 EE?
The plain vanilla Athlon 64 is on it's own?

The most confusing part to me is the core and socket situation, can someone explain it? I checked the roadmap for AMD, and it only added to the confusion.

M

Molybdym said:
Man am I glad I found this thread.

I've been out of the loop for a couple of days(really months)

The Opteron is compteing with the Itanium, 64bit server market, SMP and registered memory.

The Athlon64 FX is competing with the P4 EE?
The plain vanilla Athlon 64 is on it's own?

The most confusing part to me is the core and socket situation, can someone explain it? I checked the roadmap for AMD, and it only added to the confusion.

M

The Opteron competes with the Itanium in the 64bit server market and with the Xeon in the 32bit server market.

It's actually more like the P4EE is competing with the A64 FX :p
And the plain A64 is competing against the regular 3.2ghzP4C.

The Athlon64 is 754(pretty sure it's 754, but not positive but the exact number doesn't matter)pin and it looks like it will stay that way for quite some time to come.

The A64 FX and the Opteron are both 940pin sockets for now. The A64 FX will move to 939 pins late this year, early next. The reason for this is that to get the FX out on time, they basically sold renamed Opterons. Starting around early next year, they'll start to make independant FX's that hopefully won't require registered RAM because they won't be renamed server chips and that extra pin won't be needed. The FX's advantage over the A64 is that the FX can use dual-channeled memory and comes at a higher stock frequency, not that hardly any here would keep their chip at stock anyway. Though the FX does look like it has a bit more oc'ing potential right now, which is to be expected because the FX chips are the cream of the crop seeing as how they have to check out at higher standards than the A64(it also looks like they can have their multi's changed with some beta bios' floating around whereas the A64 is still unsure on that subject right now).

Hope that answers your questions.

Oh, and just incase you were wondering, also starting hopefully early next year, the AMD64 chips are going to be moving to .09 nm technology. This is the time many are waiting for the go for the chips. The chips should run cooler and hopefully be able to oc better than the current ones out today. I say hopefully because it doesn't look like Intel has had much luck with their .09 project(Prescott) and I'm hoping that AMD will have enough time by the expected date to iron out all the kinks in the .09 Athlon chips.

God, thank you!
So is that why people are complaining the Athlon64 in only single channel in memory?
And it seems to me (I am not a fanboy), once Windows goes 64bit, the vinallia 64 will whip-up-on a 3.2 P4?
And the whole .09 nm thing, I would expect AMD to use it on their Opterons first, but then again, don't they already use SOI for them?

Back