• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to get cpu temps on old pc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enhanced08

Registered
i have an old HP Desktop that i want to oc but it doesn't have cpu/motherboard temp sensors. how do i get around this? i know it can still be oc'ed but how do i do it so i don't fry the cpu?

also, how do i figure out what mobo i have? i can't find the manual that came with it, and the hp website is no help! it has everything about the pc except the mobo. thanks for the help!:cool:

How old is it? If its old enought, go with "if i can touch it, with out getting burnmarks on my finger, its fine" If its after P-MMX It should have a thermal sensor...

I think SiSoftSandra should be able to tell you what motherboard it is (or atleast manafacturor, and HP's rename model name)
http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=&location=sware_dl&langx=sv&a=

When you get us the more meet, we might be able to help more.. best of luck!
B!

When I've overclocked older CPU's with no temperature monitoring, it would become obvious when it was too hot from lockups, or other flaky behaviour.
I believe there are temp monitors that you could add, but it would probably cost more than the computer is worth.

HP desktops generally had motherboards made to their specifications.

Can you tell us what CPU you have?

You could go to this site, and download and run CT BIOS, http://www.motherboards.org/mobocop.html . You may find out some solid information that way, such as the motherboards chipset, etc.

ok guys, thanks for the help, i don't have time to give you more info right now other than its an HP desktop 6553, its about 3-4 years old, or to download those programs, but i will tomorrow. thanks

hmmmm........... the SiSoftSandra was in another languange and the mobocop couldn't figure out my mobo. i downloaded the ctbios thing and got this screen. (attachment, sorry its in bmp format, for some reason i couldn't get it to jpg format) i can't understand what it says, maybe you can.

the computer is about 3-4 years old. windows 98, Hp Pavilion desktop 6553. intel celeron 466.

i hope you guys can get something from this, i really don't want to fry my cpu, its the only one i have. lol

Enhanced, though you won't probably see a huge performance increase overclocking your Celeron, it can still be fun, and a good learning experience for you. But it will be a challenge.

Most Slot 1 motherboards of that era had options in the BIOS to increase the frontside bus speed. Intel CPU's are multiplier locked, and unlocking them isn't easy. The motherboards from large manufacturers such as Gateway and HP don't usually have these options.

At this point, this really belongs in Intel motherbords. But the information that I think you want can be found by doing a search in the Intel CPU's section, like this http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/searc...d=495862&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending .

The CompuNurse idea isn't bad, I didn't realize they were so reasonably priced.

But remember, no matter how careful you are, overclocking has some risk to it.

Intel CPU's are multiplier locked, and unlocking them isn't easy.
by that you mean that the multiplier can not be changed but the FSB can?? how would you go about unlocking the cpu multiplier anyway?

Yes, no multiplier changes. I have no experience with trying to unlock old Intel chips, but it apparently isn't possible.

I think you'll find all of the information that you'll need by clicking on the link in my earlier post, and reading through those threads.

Back