• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new nf7-s wont power down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wardog50

I hope this is not a big deal to fix. Like maybe an option that I didnt set or something.
Anyway I just installed my new motherboard and an 1800+ from excaliber. The thing really smokes. Ive done no mods at all and canget 225fsb at 10x.
The problem comes when I try to power down. I go to start then select shutdown like usual. When the machine should power down the monitor quickly flickers a message saying that the machine is now ready to be turned off. Then the monitor shuts down and the power to the case and other peripherals kinda browns out then comes back. Also the power button on the case wont turn it off. I have to reach to the back of the case and use the pwer supply switch. I know the case switch works because I use it to power back up after turning the pwer supply switch back on.
Does anybody know if I did something wrong with an option or is the motherboard bad? I hope not because it works great other than this.

Thanks

Wardog

This is somewhat of a common problem, and it happens when the nVidia motherboard drivers are incorrectly installed. When it happened to me, I reinstalled the nVidia motherboard drivers, and then the shutdown sequence went fine afterwards.

thanx

That wouldnt be to bad.
I will give it a shot.
I also bought the bios recovery kit when I bought the other stuff so if that doesnt work do you think trying the other bios chip might be a worthy option?
Thank you
Wardog

Alright, i had this problem. Im gonna guess you have a PCI gfx card.

If so, what you need to do is right click on my computer, go to the advanced tab, click startup and recovery, under the system failure, uncheck restart.

Then shutdownn the computer. You should now be presented with a bluescreen which at the bottom tells you about som agp something or other problem.

If this is teh case, then get back into windows, right click my computer, hardware tab, device maniger, click the system tree, go to Nvidia Nforce2 AGP host to PCI bridge, right click that and go to properties, driver tab, driver details, you should see two things in the window, nv_agp.sys and pci.sys. If so click ok and then click roll back driver. say yes to whatever it asks then hit ok and shutdown your machine it should work.

Now this just gets rid of the error, the problem is still there, and in my case when i choose shutdown after doing a bios edit the settings dont save and it goes back to default. The only way to truely resolve the problem is to get an AGP gfx card. I poped my gf2 in and all the problems went away, but unfortunately that card had to go back in the family's machine.

G'luck!

Thanks alot guys.

I have gfrce2 right now Im waiting on an RMAd 9800. I tried the driver install but to no avail. I had a problem last night with the card drivers though. During boot up 3nividia graphics errors came up then when I got to windows everything was in 16bit color.

I looked at the display drivers in properties and that is all that is available. It still shows that it is installed though.
I guess Ill just format it and try again.

Thanks again.

Ill post back after the format to let you know if it worked or with more questions.

Wardog

had to get a new o.s.

I didnt get to try this yet.

I formatted and my o.s. went nuts. I had 98se
I also tried my old dell systems (no longer alive) windows ME.
They both were having major issues with the board and installing the drivers correctly.
I broke down and bought windows XP PRO.
Now everything installs on the money.
It still doesnt power down thought so I will try this later tonight.

Thnaks again

Wardog

Flewdefur said:
Alright, i had this problem. Im gonna guess you have a PCI gfx card.

Okay, I have the same issue, but I DO have an AGP (Radeon 9000) and Win XPPro.

Seems that something else is amiss causing this problem.
Will go away after resetting the bios, but comes back again later.

still same problem

I still have the same the problem.

Thats a new bios, a new operating system, fresh installs of all the drivers, and I tried the tips given above.

This thing still browns out but wont power down and now it wont save my bios settings.

This thing is going downhill fast.

Im about to switch out the power supply.
I really dont think it will help but who knows.

later
Wardog

Very strange, it might be the power supply, but if it's not saving your bios settings, it looks more and more like you need an RMA. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the motherboard drivers again, but after you replace the power supply.

As for the Win98SE problems, this is not common at all. I was also forced into buying WinXP as it was impossible for me to install Soundstorm, or the onboard NIC, and I had major video problems as well. The Win98 drivers for the Nforce2 chipset are truely terrible, not only is a 50/50 chance that they'll actually work, but if they fail they tend to corrupt everything around them. :p

no switch on powersupply

Dang it

My other powersupply that I was going to try doesnt have the power switch on the back like this one.

I tried it anyway but it wouldnt even light up the mobos LEDs.

I e-mailed Excaliber and left a question on the Abit websight forum also.

I think this thing is going back though.
What a shame.

Wardog

AHHHHH i should have seen this sooner, for some reason when i fresh install with this mobo, APM (advanced power management) (display properties/screen saver/power/advanced) is disabled by default. Enable this so that windows knows it can tell the mobo to turn off and it will. :D. easy cheesy. sorry about all the troulble u've had with this. i would have thought some1 would know about this. i've seen it the same with several people with nf7's.

J.

juliendogg said:
AHHHHH APM (advanced power management) (display properties/screen saver/power/advanced) is disabled by default. Enable this so that windows knows it can tell the mobo to turn off and it will.

Thanks for the suggestion, but there is no checkbox to check in that screen (XPPro). ACPI is enabled in bios.

In case you misunderstood the problem, when you try to power down (start/shutdown/turnoff) the computer goes through the shut down process, turns off the power, then immediately turns it back on and reboots. The only way to shut down is to "pull the plug".:(

Anybody else??

actually i was responding to wardog's first post, where it goes to the "it is now safe to turn off your computer" screen instead of shutting off. Sounds to me like your comp is running reboot instead of shutdown cmd. have you been through all the settings in bios for apm? and i DO mean APM or Advanced Power Management, not ACPI, they are two different things.

J.

juliendogg said:
have you been through all the settings in bios for apm?

Yes... everything set to "default optimal settings"

juliendogg said:
Advanced Power Management, not ACPI, they are two different things.

I understand, but they are related.

There are only two check boxes in the advanced screen: 1) always show icon on the taskbar 2) Prompt for password when computer resumes feom standby.
There is no checkbox for enable APM. So, I assume windows has already done so.

This is a very strange problem. I've heard so many different solutions that it's leading me to guess that not it might be an issue that could be caused by various different problems. Even the Abit forums do not have a definite answer to this problem.

As I mentioned previously, reinstalling the drivers and a fresh install worked for me fine. Also, after checking Windows Help (yes it actually does have a use ;) ) APM is turned on by default if you don't have the tag. I am also using XP Pro SP1.

It might be that different motherboards (maybe revision based, maybe not) have this slight issue. It may also be component based as well, (PCI Video Card has been mentioned).

I need more time

Well I havnt found a resolution to this yet.

I dont have that tab there either Julian so like Aslan said it must be set on by default.

I just got paid today so I think I will by a brand spankin powersupply. Im looking at the Fortron 530. They have it at newegg for around $85.

If that doesnt do it then Im going to have to send it back.

Thanks and keep the ideas coming. Hopefully the answer is still out there.

Wardog

if the bios isnt saving its prolly cause the computer is being forced to power down. You must find whatever the conflict is (in my case it was a pci gfx card) and replace/fix it. I could not get my FSB and multipliers to stay where i set them after shutting down until i replaced my gfx card.

Flewdefur said:
If so, what you need to do is right click on my computer, go to the advanced tab, click startup and recovery, under the system failure, uncheck restart.

On another note, i just got my fortron 350 this week (old psu died on me!) and its been working great, really appreciate the 120mm fan :)

Back