• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thanks for a big piece of crap abit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommelrommel

Got my RMA back today, ended up being a 2.0 (I sent in a 1.2). So, I was pretty happy.

Not.

According to MBM5 and the BIOS, all the rails on my Antec 550 are undervolted. This is a powersupply that was fine with my own A7N8X, and another NF7-S I tested it in.

The 3.3 is 3.2, the 5 is 4.88, and the 12 is 11.70.

My 1800+ that was rock solid in the A7N8X at 2200 w/1.8 Vcore is now not stable at 2200 with even more Vcore.

Any FSB past 200 is definitely useless, and I'm not even sure about 200 really.

Every piece of my system has been tested by me to work properly, so I'm left thinking I've got a piece of crap for a board.

Yes, I know about the L12 mod. Yes, I know about adding cooling to the NB, SB, the vdd mod, disabling APIC for a windows install, etc. I am not too inclined to try any of these things when this board seems to have so amny problems.

This is with multiple different BIOS's as well.

Also, the Media XP I've had waiting for so long comes with the most uselessly short cords imaginable. In my fairly small mid tower I'll be forced to move the Media XP to the lowest bay available for the main connector to even reach. The wonderful engineers at Abit put the connection for the main harness on the bottom left of the board, instead of the top right which would make sense for a connector designed for a expansion bay mounted device.

Congrats Abit, job well done.:mad: You've actually made me consider getting a rev 2 A7N8X.

Boards reporting innacurate voltages is nothing out of the ordinary. Its rather extraordinary when a board actually reports them properly I think.

As for your oc issues are you sure your instability at 2200 is from the speed of the cpu? if you are having fsb issues then possibly that is the cause of the instability and not the cpu speed? I highly recommend the L12 mod.

Give your board a shot before you return it. I went from an A7N8X to an NF7-S and I couldn't be happier with the switch.

I can't even get into windows now at any settings. Constant hardlocks the second I touch the desktop. If I try to boot in safe mode it doesn't even make it to the log in screen. (Win2k)

I'm so screwed. I can't even get into windows to remove the ****ing drivers so I can switch back to my Asus.

Are you saying you didn't do a fresh install when you got your Abit back and you just switched from the Asus board to the Abit board? If so you should definitely either make a partition and install a new OS and see if that helps or just format your entire HDD and install the OS again, of course after you get your valuable data to someone elses computer if possible.

Partition magic can't work on the drive because of too many errors. This is truly screwed... could I have a bad IDE controller?

put the drive in another computer, transfer any data you need off the drive, then just do a quick format through the windows computer management consol. pop the drive in the abit comp and try a fresh install at stock speeds/settings.

I m having same problems, got my RMA today. From the moment I try to change any VOLTAGE setting in the bios, siren all over, My antec TP now reports 4.91v on +5 rail. All setup except MB used to work well in the older MB and Epox 8rda+. This one will not even spend a nite in my case.

If your OS has been corrupted its probably due to the errors that you say you are having - I mean like in prime95 when it calculates things wrongly, if you shut down while the system has the ability to cause errors its quite likly that errors could be writen to disk and so when it next comes to read it its screwed.

As people have said, its a very good idea to make a fresh install before you change motherboards anyway, so giving that a go would be a good idea.

I had a similar problem to you with fsb, I was first able to do 200 no problem but strangely it started getting errors and then I could only run 180 stable, I flashed it with BIOS 17 and now I can go to 220 no problems.

One more thing, dont run your CPU at such a high voltage - mine locks up if its running at 1.8 for a while, and locks up very quickly at 1.825, so I would suggest running at 1.625 for 2200MHz - as 1.625 is good up to 2250MHz for me, so as I said, run at a lower voltage!!!

Yes reload OS, I have had abit of luck with not having to reload 3 platform changes this past week. Guess sometimes you get lucky.
Good luck

mata2974 said:
I m having same problems, got my RMA today. From the moment I try to change any VOLTAGE setting in the bios, siren all over, My antec TP now reports 4.91v on +5 rail. All setup except MB used to work well in the older MB and Epox 8rda+. This one will not even spend a nite in my case.

sirens? can you elaborate? from the bios or iwnbond monitor? NEVER use winbond monitor, and dont trust the bios. measure those voltages with a mulit meter if you havnt allready

Keep in mind that it could be teh contact btwn the PSU and the mobo, there are some things you can do I think a stick here says them (in PSU's). If the mobo reports low and the Multi says normal AND it isnt stable that could very well be the problem. But those rails aren't extemely low.

The mobo is just off , with a voltameter I get a constant 5.07V. I was at least happy it was not my PSU. The siren comes when I try to change voltage in BIOS, anything above 1.60 results in shutdown or siren. Very frustrating. The other MB never used to do this.

Back