• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1Gig worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Biznatch

I am building a new computer for overclocking with a 1700+ from excaliber and an NF7-S ver2 and I wanted to know if it was worth it to get 2 sticks of 512 instead of 256? This will mainly be for gaming (horizon's and halflife 2 kinda stuff).

for starters Welcome to the forums! :)

As for RAM, I run a gig right now but I only use about 256 of that even when gaming.. planning on downgrading to 512 and faster RAM, 512 should be sufficient for most everything out. 2x256 would be a good buy.

I'd recommend getting the 1 gig... 512 isn't quite enough. Right now I'm running 768 and sometimes I wish I had more. It's sufficient, tho.

Thank you, I have been reading them for a couple weeks now, but never set up a new email account so i could register. I was going to get a 2x512 of the buffalo 3700, but I'm getting 2x512 of the mushin lvl II so hopefully I will be able to get some nice times from my new computer :)

For your application I think the buffalo would have done great, but the Mushkin should too. I've got 2x512 of the buffalo 3200 in the machine right now, and I've got 2x512 of the 3700 coming monday to see if there is any improvement. You can see from the cpumark mem score in the sig how much potential cheap ram has in the right circumstance.

I really like having 1GB over 512MB. I too got by with 256MB 9 months ago, went to 512, and got hooked on the snappiness 1GB provides. General browsing and desktop navigation speeds up more than I realized before I tried it. And of course really hungry games like BF1942 really notice the difference.

Ive been keeping track of games and Apps running and have yet to see the memory usage go above 300MB. I cant see any benefit of running 1 GB. Am I wrong? Is there any benefit? Im installing an ATI 9700 AIW Pro shortly.

id get 1x 512 rather than 2x 256 because its cheaper, and i belive one is better than 2 even in dual channel
and if you diside to go to 1 gig later you only need to buy another 512

1 Gig memory?? of course, you won't be dissapointed. I could open a lot of photos faster with less hardisk interaction.

I have heard that when Playing Planetside, EQ, and some other BIG games people see dramatic improvments. However if you dont play some MMORPG/MMOFPS/MMANYTHING you wont really see much if any of an impovment.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Larva hit the nail on the head... there are certain games (and other apps) that are very memory-hungry (BF 1942 is a prime example, as is Mafia and several other games). Running these games with 512 MB of ram will guarantee you longer load times and more in-game hiccups.

After using a gig of ram I will never, I repeat never, go back to anything less.

Personally I am I happy I went with 1 gig. Its probably a matter of your personal demands on your system but I can say this much: programs are going to be using any less memory in the future. There have been plenty of lan parties I have been at where people are ditching out of games to reboot all day long. Gotta love having enough memory that your machine does not dog on big multiplayer games.

Back