• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7N400Pro2 Changes PSU Readings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Restorer

First, the numbers: on a fair 2500+ overclock (2.23G), MBM5 reads my PSU at:
+12V: 11.52V
+5V: 4.28V
+3.3V: 3.32V
-5V: 0.00V
-12V: 0.00V

On my previous motherboard, a GA-7VAXP, before it died, the readings were better; more like around 11.8 and 4.8. I see two possibilities for this drop:
1. The new motherboard reads the voltages wrong. Solution: compensate numerically in MBM.
2. The new motherboard takes more power and is taxing my power supply to the limit. Solution: buy a better power supply.

My current power supply is a Raidmax 400W. The BIOS tells me that the voltage lines are "OK", but gives me no numbers. Which of the possibilities is more likely? I'd hate to spend MORE money on this machine, after I've spent too much already to replace the motherboard.

The voltage sensors can vary quite a bit from one motherboard to another. To find out what your voltage really is, you may want to measure at a molex connector with a volt meter.

Your new motherboard may also be a power hog compared to the last. I encountered that when I upgraded from my Abit KT7A to my present 8K3A. The generic 400 PSU that had been fine with the KT7A experienced a not so gradual decline in voltage with my new motherboard.

But it doesn't sound quite the same as what you are experiencing, because it started out reading normally, and then quickly declined. So I think you probably just have inaccurate sensors.

Back