• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new computer problems - temperature maybe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kikkler

Registered
ok, I got my computer, assembled it, turned it on and tried to install windows XP.. still in the "DOS"y looking interface, he had reported planety of file file writing errors. ok, I kept pressing "enter" for resume.. and bang, blue screen. ok, let's try it again. reset, reformat, reinstall, same thing (diffenet files had problems, though). after about 4 or 5 times, i decided to have a look at the bios PC health screen... hmm, CPU temp is 55C ??! WTF ? ok, maybe i attached the HSF wrong, or there is too much thermal grease.. took the Zalman 7000-cu out, and decided to give the stock P4 HSF a chance. cleaned some thermal grease and attached the it. a quick glance at the bios - 65C.. amm WHAT?? ok, let's give the Zalman another chance.. attached it, 58C. ok, i dunno, but something here isn't right - I know I shouldnt expect these kind of CPU temperatures, especially when my sister's 2500+ vantec aeroflow-ed isn't topping 50C in bios.
so my questions are - 1) is it possible that this high temp is the cause for the files writing errors and blue screens ? 2) how the hell am i lowering those temperatures ?? Case fans wise, I have 2 outtake 80mm fans at the back, PSU fan which is also an outtake, one intake at the front, one intake at the HDD and one at the door.
any suggestions ?

Are you running overclocked? Temps are high but I would think you should still be able to install at 55C. Drop everything to stock if you haven't and try again. Check the voltage in the BIOS and make sure it's not over the stock. About all I can think of off hand.

no OC at all. is there any way that my temperature reading is totally screwed up ? the heatsink is barely warm to touch

Sounds like a mounting problem, or too much grease. Check the mounting again (though this is a P4, right? so it should be hard to screw up mounting), and make sure you follow the directions for your thermal grease. You should not be running that hot stock.

You're problem definitely isn't your temperature. It can cause errors like this, but 50c stock isn't anything to do that.

Check your hard drive.

Back