• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 3000+ OC Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spuppy21

Registered
First dont yell at me for spending the extra $$ for the 3000+ at first i didnt want to OC and I wanted the fastest I could get but someone on this forum talked me into it....*cough* deathknight...

Anyway I assume the mult. is locked like my old Palomino. Correct?

Second what is a good OC for these Bartons? What is everyone getting?Ghz's? or Mhz :D

Voltage: AMD says 1.65... Whats a higher but still safe VCore? Is 1.75-1.76 ok with good cooling?

Whats considered a good stressed prime95 temp for Bartons with air cooling. A range rather like 42C-47C or something.

My system is somewhat older its not top of the line like Abus its a MSI KT4V. 530Fortran PSU. and slk800(I think thats the correct number) with Smart Fan2

I didnt know I asked such bad questions...
So I'll give my post a little bumpy :)

The Barton 3000+ is a pretty good chip. You should be able to get a decent O/C.

The multiplier is not locked. However, it has a default multiplier above 12.5, so you can use only 13 and above. I would suggest raising the multiplier since your board only has a 1/5 PCI divider. You could safely go up to 185mhz or so on the FSB, but raising the multi at 166 will help you eliminate system instability from a high PCI bus. After establishing how high the chip can go you can then lower the multi and raise the FSB.

See how high you can go with stock voltage, then try raising it to 1.75v from there. I would think 1.8 and even 1.85v would be fine with the SLK-800 but keep a close eye on your temps - for my setup, my temps don't go over 50 C load. You should be ok up to about 55 C, but lower temps are always better.

Excellent heatsink. Fantastic power supply. Killer PCU.
If only you had an nForce2 mobo, it would have been a record setting overclock. The kind of setup that does speeds people think are not possible.

This mobo has a /5 divider instead of a PCI lock so 190 FSB / 5 = 38, that's about the max safest overclock above specs of 33.

190 FSB max FSB x multiplier that would get you to above 2.3 GHz gradually with gradual increase to at most 1.8 Volts Vcore.

That's your target.

Fitful ram

Well guys heres what I got so far,
I need better ram... all i have is pc2700 Kingston
Dont worry Ill get better
With "Auto" Vcore which is running at 1.650 i can push
180FSB with no issues at all... Increase it to 1.70 and push 185 with a temp load stressed of 46C. Not bad but not great either really. Anything over 185 will lockup Prime95 in an instant. Probally cause of my RAM and BSOD cause of the stupid USB drivers. :)
But im still not happy cause of the multiplyer bios settings on this MSI KT4V with the KT400 Apollo VIA chipset.
If I put my multiplyer on anything other than 13x, like what I want 14x, the system fails to boot. I gotta clear the CMOS and restart and set it back to 13X166 @ 1.625V
so the Bartons are unlocked... I have the newest BIOS from MSI is there something i am missing? Or is this something common among MSI boards?

Getting better RAM won't do much because your mobo's limit is close to Kingston 2700 RAM limit, high 180s FSB.

It's your mobo that's holding you back.
1.8 volts Vcore is OK, try to gradually increase toward 1.8 and see if you can do mid 180s.

High 180s is your mobo limit anyway, 190 FSB at most.

Do not get better RAM, get an nForce2 instead first then get RAM if you can and want (!)

This one has no extras but this is where first available funds should go:
http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=181_220&products_id=867

I agree with c627627 hit up that mobo or if you wish the nf7-s iof you want the sata raid and soundstorm sound....either way....I pushed my ram to what you see in my sig.....so the mobo helps a ton :)

193 FSB on a PC2700, very nice, where did you get it?
They say Samsung PC2700 can even do 200.

Crucial seems to be better for finding that odd stick or two of super ram. I have 2x256 of Crucial PC2100 that does 200 and 2x256 Crucial PC2700 that does 220. :)

...at Memory Frequency of "100%" instead of "Auto" of course (?)

What happenes over 190 FSB

I understand my board takes fsb/5 =pci overclock mhz
Like you said 190/5 =38Mhz
What happens to my system if I use 195/5=39Mhz?

Is there terminal damage to my PCI hardware and or Harddrive. Or does this cause corruption of my Hard drive? And lastly how do I know if my HD is becomming corrupted?

Btw I got my stepping off my AMD:
AXDA3000K4D Y829164250273
AQXDA 0214MPMW

I remember what steppings were good for Palo's but is this a good Barton?

c627627 said:
...at Memory Frequency of "100%" instead of "Auto" of course (?)

oh yes, DC too. not in this board i have currently though. :-/

[edit] timings 2.5-3-3-5 though, not bad but not good either.

The specs are 33. Over specs is risk.
Artificial acceptable risk for OC FSB on a mobo without a PCI lock and with just a /5 divider is conservatively speaking 185, average speaking 190.

Above that all agree you're entering territory where you may be fine but the risk is less then acceptable.

Regarding your q, I don't think the scenario is gradual. You loose your PCI cards, video cards, hard drive has no DATA on it any more, that's the more likely scenario of FSB being in the 40s or 20% and over specs of 33.

P.S. Those are some rare sticks Demont.

Back