• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a long question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

borg

Registered
browsed through stickies and could not find this... (flame shield activated ;) )

i have 400mhz ddr and 400mhz fsb barton, nforce2, running sync
now if i increase the system clock a bit more(let's say to 205mhz) , and lock the memory at 400fsb (go async), will the performance increase be smaller compared to the one from 195 to 200mhz while sync?
I heard that while in async, increased latency will reduce the cpu overclock gain by some percent , and since I have no knowledge about this, I would like this info to be verified.. please ;)
thx

you would still get a performance increase from the clockspeed, but running the ram async might actually hurt your bandwidth as opposed to running sync at 200, have you tried just running you ram at 205? my 166 does 200 great at 2.7vdimm. you could also just up the multiplier one notch if you cpu will allow it, the only problem with 200fsb is the 100 mhz jumps in speed

Yeah running async will definatly impact your bandwidth performance. The best boost of performance you can make for your system is more fsb with memory running sync so try and run 205 with memory sync. As you raise fsb you may have to loosen memory timings some but typically you can get better performance with loose timings and higher fsb. Do some benchmarks and see which runs better for you ;)

upping the mutliplier makes me increase the voltage too much... I wanted to do a finer o/c with the fsb
haven't tried o/c-ing the memory, will do, I just hope the vdimm increase won't heat up the case too much

memory seems to be running fine at 208x10.5 , (416 mhz) vdimm 2.8 (default 2.6) but a slight increase doesn't let me through post. should I go all the way to 2.9vdimm (since posting can't be related to tight memory timings.. right?) and then try to pass 210mhz? have no idea will 2.6vdimm->2.9 kill my "brand name ;)" memory
thx

I don't think it too risky to take it to 2.9 volts. I took my Kingston ValueRAM to 2.9 and it defaults at 2.6. I'd just make sure that your memory isn't getting too hot at the higher voltage.

Some people even run 3.2v on their memory with a lil' airflow near um'...I wouldnt worry about 2.9v, maybe 3 though.. I gots 2.85 (MBM says so nee' ways), so I think its supposed to be 2.9. its fine for me:D

ok... since 2.6->2.9 is the only range currently supported in my bios, this is my last hope :)
trying to burn-in cpu in the meantime using 1.9vcore, since it needs 1.8 (pretty large jump) to reach 2300

after 24 hours of burn-in at 2.0vcore, 200x11 stable at 1.675 (was 1.7) and 210x11 at 1.825vcore 2.9vdimm , temps go to 55C (seems not too critical)
strange, 200x10.5 wasn't stable at 1.825
I guess I should just stick to 2300

Back