• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Would be faster? PLEASE READ!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dguy6789

i need to make a choice on my asus a7n8x. I can do either of the following. I want to know which would be faster. my cpu right now is an athlon xp 2600 333fsb.

What kind of memory would be faster in this system,
a single 512 stick of pc2700 that can do 2-2-3-5 timings or 2 256MB sticks that can do 2.5-3-3-8, the advantage of these would be they have dual channel on. So what would be faster on an athlon xp system, faster timings with single channel or dual channel with slower timings?

my vote is get a stick of 256 with fast timings and get another one later, but if you dont want to do that, id go with the single stick...but i could be completely wrong

The 1 stick with tighter timings would probably do better but without a straight up test its hard to say. Are you talking about memory you already have or memory you are considering buying? Memory can often run at tighter timing and faster speeds than what it is rated at depending on the brand so if you let us know the memory you are considering we could probably give better advice ;)

Back