• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd Recommends using thermal Pads??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Isn't that an OEM manufacturer video?

I'm sure they're doing this because they know that AS3 can short out bridges. The pad can't do this, therefore they don't have to replace your processor or get tech support calls about how their processors are crap and don't work after a messy application of AS3.

Also, the thermal pad is designed to last a lot longer than Arctic Silver or any thermal grease. The thermal pad is better after 5-10 years of use. For almost all people around this board, that's not a problem because we upgrade/rebuild much more often than that.

Sterculus said:
Also, the thermal pad is designed to last a lot longer than Arctic Silver or any thermal grease. The thermal pad is better after 5-10 years of use. For almost all people around this board, that's not a problem because we upgrade/rebuild much more often than that.

i did not realize that i've always wondered why amd and intel retail cpus come with thermal pads

Thermal pads are also 'single use only'. Anyone here use a Swifty once and then pitch it out the window because the thermal pad was used? I don't think so.

They know we're out here, toying with our systems. If they were doing anything but covering their legal arses in discouraging that tweaking, they'd have packs of the stuff available wherever you could buy processors.
I also have seen some people's "handiness", having a thermal pad on the hsf when you buy a processor (nearly) guarantees that Joe Sixpack uses thermal compound (at least once).
It's not great stuff, but it works, and it's preinstall-able.

I though read an article on ovclockers.com that Arctic Silver had good dialectic properties this means it won’t conduct elect. This means that it wont short out componts.

AFIsoldier I dont know if anyone here knows.... lol no, im sure somone does, they come with some low quality HS's you could buy one of those everytie you re-set, oh and you have to clean it off all the way every time too. It acutally is better in the very long run but if you take your HS off more than once a year goop is better. AS3 is mildly conductive, it will mess sutff up. Ceramiq and alumina wont but silver will.

AFIsoldier said:
where can i get these thermal pads?!

You can get it at Directron, but keep in mind thermal Pads are the worst solution next to not using anything when it comes to thermal transfer. The three main manufacturers are Power Devices, Bergquist and Chomerics.

Just a FYI, but Arctic silver 3 will net a 3 to 12 degrees centigrade lower CPU full load core temperatures than standard thermal compounds or thermal pads

Hey of you still want to buy one you can get them here,

http://www.directron.com/accterpad.html

http://www.directron.com/thermaltape.html

Back