• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low profile HS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bensa

I'm building a low profile case, and will need to cool my 2.8c well. I know the Zalman 7000CU is good, but its pretty expensive, do you have other recomndations. It will probably hit the roof at 8cm, and it need space on top for a fan and clearance for airflow. There will be a blowhole with fanguard right above, but I do not want it touching the roof, this is under a plexi window, so it will ruin the look.

If you're not overclocking the rig, then you could probably use the stock cooler. Provides fine temps.

A Swiftech MCX4000™ is 1.5" (Approximately 4cm) high without a fan. Any 80 or 92x25mm fan will work.
An Alpha PAL8942 may also work with a 80x25mm Fan.

I might overclock it a bit, but mainly I want good cooling, since this is a very small case and all the hots parts are right next to each other. I have the stock p4 hs, but I would like to get a nice looking and low profile hs because of the aesthetics of the case.
You can see what case I'm using here.

You could try a COOLJAG JAC322C its one of the better Low profile Socket 478 solutions (1" high with fan)

http://www.1coolpc.com/jagp4.htm

jagp41.jpg

Whoah, now that really low :p. Is it a real challenger to the zalman in cooling? The zalman looks nicer and I might even opt for the alu version since my bezel is alu.
I need something that looks REALLY nice and have above average cooling.
Is the Cooljag 233C loud(its meant for servers, so I don't think it was designed to be quiet), or should I change the stock fan if I buy it.
I found the cooljag 233C for €35 in a local shop. The Swiftech MCX4000 looks nice and has very good cooling, but sadly all Swiftechs are over £60.

EDIT: Hmmm, I just realized that the cooler will need good retention clips and be lights, otherwise when I move the case, I could damage my proc. Should I dab a little epoxy into the corners of the sink or make rods that connect from the clips, or sink, to the roof? This could work if I made it so the rods have threads, and the fan grill screws hold the rods in place.
I hope you can understand my inane rambling.

Last edited:
Bensa said:
Whoah, now that really low :p. Is it a real challenger to the zalman in cooling? The zalman looks nicer and I might even opt for the alu version since my bezel is alu.
I need something that looks REALLY nice and have above average cooling.
Is the Cooljag 233C loud(its meant for servers, so I don't think it was designed to be quiet), or should I change the stock fan if I buy it.
I found the cooljag 233C for €35 in a local shop. The Swiftech MCX4000 looks nice and has very good cooling, but sadly all Swiftechs are over £60.

EDIT: Hmmm, I just realized that the cooler will need good retention clips and be lights, otherwise when I move the case, I could damage my proc. Should I dab a little epoxy into the corners of the sink or make rods that connect from the clips, or sink, to the roof? This could work if I made it so the rods have threads, and the fan grill screws hold the rods in place.
I hope you can understand my inane rambling.

The swiftech will easily outperform the Cooljag and especially the Zalman, but the Swiftech is also much larger.

As far as the Cooljags fan, I personally think its to loud and since your saving space by using the IU solution if you have room, a 80mm fan thats more CFM and less noise is the way to go.

But if you have the room, get the Swiftech as its just a better cooling solution.

The Cooljag, being a 1U server rack heatsink, is going to rely heavily on case airflow to get 'okay' temps. I didn't want to reccomend a 1U as they don't work too well on desktop systems where "server room noise" isn't acceptable to create nice airflow through the case.

Thats a really cool idea for your case. Kudos!

Ffats said:
The Cooljag, being a 1U server rack heatsink, is going to rely heavily on case airflow to get 'okay' temps. I didn't want to reccomend a 1U as they don't work too well on desktop systems where "server room noise" isn't acceptable to create nice airflow through the case.

Thats a really cool idea for your case. Kudos!

I totally agree with you, but I was under the impression he said, I'm building a low profile case :)

( I tested a Cooljag and the temps were decent, but like you suggested, I had good airflow)

Okay, lets calculate:
Mobo will need about 1cm space including mountings
Socket, maybe .5cm
Window, at the most 1cm

So, thats allready 2.5cm used, and I will need clearance from the plexi for aesthetic purposes. So, I'm going for something less than 5cm in height including fan.

Bensa said:
Okay, lets calculate:
Mobo will need about 1cm space including mountings
Socket, maybe .5cm
Window, at the most 1cm

So, thats allready 2.5cm used, and I will need clearance from the plexi for aesthetic purposes. So, I'm going for something less than 5cm in height including fan.

2 inches huh...... Let me look around at some options, BRB

Man, you gotta love the swiftness and helpfullness at this forum :).

Hmmm, I think I can make the Swiftech MCX4000 fit, but it is better than the zalman right? If the MCX4000 doesnt fit, i can drill little holes in the plexi for the pins to go into, will add some stability so the hs wont move.
Is moving the hs even slightly a problem? I've heard it can crack the core of a cpu, but is this only for amd procs?

Edit: Duh, I can have the fan blowing from the side since the design of the MXC4000, but how much will this hinder performance? Basicly, the blowhole could be to the side, and be ducted to the fan that s blowing from the side of the hs.

Bensa said:
Hmmm, I think I can make the Swiftech MCX4000 fit, but it is better than the zalman right? If the MCX4000 doesnt fit, i can drill little holes in the plexi for the pins to go into, will add some stability so the hs wont move.
Is moving the hs even slightly a problem? I've heard it can crack the core of a cpu, but is this only for amd procs?

Edit: Duh, I can have the fan blowing from the side since the design of the MXC4000, but how much will this hinder performance? Basicly, the blowhole could be to the side, and be ducted to the fan that s blowing from the side of the hs.

My Motto is the day I buy anything with the name Zalman on it is the day I buy a Dell. :rolleyes:

PS Its very hard to crack the core of a P4 since they have an Integrated heatspreader protecting the core. But natually if you stress anything to much disaster could happen.

The MCX4000 is a great heatsink and I hope your able to shoehorn it in. :)

But man, its so friggin expensive, €63 with no fan. What fan should I get out of these brands Sunon, Akasa, Y.S. Tech, Papst?

Or should I just get the MCX462-U, its €57 with the fan and a little bit shorter. Is there some loss in performance? Seems like the same design. Anyways, I will only slightly oc this thing since its allready running faster than I will need in a while.
Is the cost of the MCX4000 justifiable for someone like me? I'd rather get the zalman if the swifttech will not be quieter and not cool so much better at stock or small overclocks.

Edit: Are Akasa low profile sinks any good and quiet? I'm looking at the Akasa AK-370 Low Profile P4 and its very cheap. A plus is that it looks very nice.

Thanks sss, I'm going with the Akasa because it is low profile, nice looking, cheap, and it doesn't come with a fan so I can just stick any 80mm or 92mm on there.

That Akasa looks very nice. Pretty!

Heh SSS, I really like Zalman's 7000 coolers, they're quiet and give some good temps. However I'll take a Swifty and an NMB anyday :).

Hmmm, on the Akasa website it says that it supports only up to 2.53Ghz passively, but with a good fan it can do a lot more right? Anyways, its only €21 at a nearby shop, so thats damn cheap for a nice hs.
What fan should I get out of these brands Sunon, Akasa, Y.S. Tech, Papst?
Just posting it again.

Back