• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2500 + NF7-S rev2 = unstable oc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lord finesse

Registered
Yeah I have a barton 2500 and a NF7-S rev2 (bios 1.8) and OCZ (512x1) 3200, with Enermax 350w psu. For whatever reason I cant raise my fsb to anything above 166 without it being very unstable.. It will load up and everything but when I try to run Prime95 it fails after less then 4 minutes.. I can boot up on everything up to 205 fsb, but if I try to raise vcore to say 1.75 it wont boot up, says it will do harm.. I dont get it.. my cooling is okay 39.5c idle and 48c load using a Volcano 10+ and I have 2in led fans 2 out.. I would have liked to reach 11x210 or 10.5x220 with OCZ 3200 ram which I heard was very possible.. Is there something I'm doing wrong? my ram timings are 2-3-3-6 and my vcore is 1.65-1.68, Vcc is 2.62 (all according to winbond hdoctor)

Can some people give me advice as to why I'm not getting what I should out of my system? I want ATLEAST 200 FSB hence the Dual 400 NF7-S rev2, and 3200 RAM.. geez.. 4 minutes at Prime95's torture test is awful.

I think your psu isn't going to be the greatiest power supply for overclocking. I would set the muilt to 5 and find out what your max fsb is make sure to set your timings kinda loose in the begining like 7 3 3 2.5 and make sure the ram is 1:1 ratio with the cpu make sure cpu interface is enabled disable any advanced chipset features you might not use cpu throling, spred spetrum, etc etc. once you have done this keep in mind you may need to increase the vdd to 1.7 in bios and up the ram voltage to 2.8 for now and find you max fsb using prime or 3dmark.

I did exactly what you said jonspd..
-I set my mult to 5
-I set my fsb to 200 (to start)
-I set my timings to 2.5-3-3-7
-I set my ram ratio to 6:6
-I enabled cpu interface (previously disabled)
-I disabled the following:
- CPU Throttling (was 50.00%)
- FSB Spread Spectrum (was 0.50%)
- AGP Spread Spectrum (was 0.50%)
-I set my vdd to 1.7v (to start for 200fsb)
-I set my ram voltage to 2.8 (to start for 200fsb)

And when it loaded up my norton auto-protect didn't enable automatically on startup so I knew it wasnt going right.. I proceeded to open system specs and it wouldn't load. None of my applications would load it was a disaster.. I did what you said.. Please tell me what went wrong.. (Didnt get a chance to run 3dmark or Prime95)

As for you saying that my PSU isnt good for overclocking I doubt that because Enermax is a QUALITY PSU brand name and 350W is plently, considering I have no other hardware, USB, PCI otherwise but the neccessary..

Wow check this bs out, keep in mind this is at 2.5-3-3-7 timings and 1.65v, 2.8v respectively on a barton 2500 (1.83Ghz) and NF7-S rev2 (bios 1.8) with OCZ 3200 (512x1) ram..

I ran Prime95 torture test and it said..

Test 1, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using 1024K FFT length.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4999084473, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file
Torture Test ran 1 minutes - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
Execution halted.

I'm ****ing cursed.

run memtest on the ram at stock speeds, i bet its the ram, rma it, if its not the ram your board is unstable rma that.

Yeah I'd like to run memtest86 I really would but for whatever reason it boots up reads the floppy and skips the memtest86 program.. I dont get it I have the ribbon in and the power connector, and have it enabled to boot up first in bios.. this is bs.

OKay I did what you said I ran Prime95 Torture test at 1.7 and 1.725 v and still under a MINUTE it fails.. THAT HAS TO BE THE RAM... IT SEEMS undoubtable..

[Sun Sep 21 18:23:01 2003]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4999847412, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

Thanks for trying to help :/

I've got to do some talking to do with ncix.com

dude these are STOCK SPEEDS like I said.. only (166x11) I've tried voltages from 1.624-1.725 one of those are gonna make it stable or not.. look at my errors they are expect a number of under 0.4 and I'm always at 4.99 something no matter what voltage, this ram and barton are suppose to run fine at 1.65v at stock 333mhz (166fsb) speeds.. its rediculous I've been screwed over royally and need to seek RMA..

.. Okay please dont tell me its my PSU...

Enermax 350W psu is a QUALITY PSU, that I bought on sale from 89.00 cdn to 79.00 cdn and I cant test with a different PSU cause I dont have other PSUs that are even half decent my next PSU is a 250W generic peice of ****.

I dont see how this involves both products this error would happen if even 1 of the two were faulty would it not? I'm running them both in sync at 166 fsb, my barton 2500 is credited at 333fsb but can do 400 easy from what ever one else has, and my ram is suppose to do 400 easy cuz its 3200, since its OCZ and supposedly quality brand name it should do 420mhz even..

well the psu is the only thing i can think off because everything esle should run at specs do u know your voltage reading if u would like to post them if u can then we can tell u if its your psu or not :)

with a voltmeter or some software like hardware doctor some ppl will say using software isnt really correct but its not that far off :) or u can use MBM5

lord finesse said:
.. Okay please dont tell me its my PSU...

Enermax 350W psu is a QUALITY PSU

I am not going to say that Enermax is a bad PSU, but IMHO I don't consider it quality either. I would reserve that classification for PC Power & Cooling, Fortron and Antec TruePower. Still its not like you are even running a super high oc and voltages. Are you running alot of other devices off of that psu?

Btw what are the timings that your memory is rated to run at?

Okay I'm using my Winbond Hardware Doctor 2.7version that comes with NF7-Srev2 (bios 1.8)

It reads as..

Vcore : 1.73-1.76v
Vcc : 2.74v
Vio : 3.38-3.42v
+5v : 5.00v
+12v : 11.92v
-12v : (-) 12.29-12.27v (one or the other)
-5v : (-) 5.34-5.39v
Vsb : 4.99v
3.3V Dual : 3.54v

Thats all they give in terms of voltages.. Again I dont know how accurate Hdoctor is..

I run 4 led fans off the PSU, my floppy, harddrive, cd-rom and of course into the MOBO.. thats it I dont have any USB products or anything in my PCI slots... It still has a ton of cables for other tthings (the psu does).. my ram's rated timings are 2-2-3-6... I've tried those and I've tried 2-3-3-6 all those possible combinations.. It should be fine at loose timings anyhow..

Last edited:
I barely have anything that qualifies at stress... Norton anti-vrius, maybe winamp?..

Are you saying that my above voltages seem okay? at idle atleast?

I haven't seen any mention of this so far (and it most likely wouldn't cause an issue in prime95 anyways) but do you have your agp and pci speeds locked down in bios?

As for voltages its almost impossible to tell anything from idle voltages that are read from the motherboard and not a multimeter.

Back