• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500+ vs, 3000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jinu

i have read alot of threads where people recommend the 2500+. what about the 3000+? is it worth the price difference? i am planning to get the SK7 because of reading the threads and almost everyone has recommended it. also, what kind of mobo would you guys recommend. i have one in mind, but im not sure if its worth the price. thanks.

Get an Abit NF-7 rev. 2, a Barton 2500, and ddr3200 ram. You'll be able to overclock faster than a 3200 Barton for a lot less money.

Welcome to the Forums!

Yeah, what fhanderson said.

You also may want to consider a 1700+ or 1800+ (there are numerous threads on the right steppings to get.) You'll save ~$40 bucks on somthing that will probably overclock to a higher speed.

2500+.

From another thread:
You're going with a $256 3000+ instead of the $83 2500+, breadtrk?

You are choosing to forgo having 7 dollars left over after buying three(!) 2500+ for the price of one 3000+ Barton.

It is the other parts of the system that people don't spend enough $ on, post the choices you made on those...

As for the 3000+, while spending all that extra $ may or may not get you extra 50 MHz, while understanding that some poeple wish to spend $ to ahieve artificial benchmark scores, consider the following which explains why it wouldn't matter much even if those data bases were accurate:

c627627 said:

Overclockers exploit the manufacturing process knowing the goal of the manufacturer was to have all CPUs being capable of running as fast as the line's fastest processor plus additional headroom. Only those CPUs that pass rigorous tests at default voltages, are given labels toward the end of the line. Others are labeled not just according to tests, but according to marketing plans.

So as you can see:
http://www.pbase.com/image/17079307/original

Thoroughbred B's scale to 2800+.

We noticed that the greatest overclockers were 1700+ and 2100+ T-Bred B's capable of reaching those end of the line speeds of 2800+ "plus additional headroom."

That's why it's best to buy those CPUs and not higher labeled CPUs since $ is another factor in overclocking.

...and that's why 1700+ T-Bred B should scale not too far below any 2x00+ T-Bred B using the same equipment.

RockyMountain Dude!
Welcome to these forums.

Which mobo do you have in mind? how much $$ are you willing to part with? how much are you gonna spend on the HS/Fan combo? what about the Mem modules? whats your PSU like?

If you intend to get on board wth the xp2500's... make your checklist now and get everything in order... that way you don't run into problems with your rig. PwrSupplyUnit is very important as well as the memory. Mobo's to avoid? the ones which limits your OC'ing controls. Depending on $$, ABIT''s NF7-s, Epox 8RDA3+/8RDA+ v2, Soltek's seem to do very well with the number of options available to OC your proc. Newegg and ExcaliburPC (.com) have been shipping some excellent xp2500 as of late. Do some inquiry's on them before you do your purchase. Good luck to ya.

i want to make sure my processor is cool and the temp is under control. so as far as money on that goes, its not really a concern for me. i have decided with the 2500+ just because of the price.i mean 83 bucks is cheap. the cheapest i found a 3000+ was just over 200. so this will allow me to put more into other components. at first i wanted the asus deluxe, but for the price it seems to me that the NF-7 will do me just fine. i really wanna go with a 400Mhz FSB, but 333 is alot better than the 100 im on now. and i can always clock it to 400. i havent decided on the brand pf power supply yet, but i will use something AMD recommends and i want a PSU that is from 450 to 500. mainly because i am using 3 hd. 20, 120 and a 160. like i said, i want to make sure my processor doesnt over heat. havent really decided on memory, just cause i never really thought there was that big of a difference til i came here. lol. so i still need some more research. any advice would help. i plan on using a Thermaltake Xaser III V2000A Aluminum or a X-SPIDER Silver CS880SL Tower cause i have heard great things about those. are there better ones that are cheaper? or at the same price? Price is kind of an issue because i am still in college and well, im a starving student, but you wouldnt know it looking at me. lol

thanks for all the great advice. i am still doing research so please forgive any of the ignorant or repeated questions. i was going to get a laptop, but i got a 2 year old vaio that works fine for school. so i wanna make my home desktop a power house. lol. well, at least a bomb computer.

Last edited:
also, i have noticed some users running the 1700+ and clocking at high speeds. so, now my question is a 2500+ or a 1700+? thanks again

they're both good chips.. and its all on the luck of the draw.. sometimes you get dud 1700+ sometimes you get dud 2500+ but keep in mine the extra cache in the 2500+ makes up for the lack of a 100 or so MHZ on the 1700+

May I say smtng, Jinu? This AMD approved stuff is for stock speeds man.
If you want a major overclock, forget about the Watts and concentrate on the brands. 350W Fortron beats 500W no namer...

Anyway:
Power Supply Unit can take out all your other components.
Many PSU manufacturers list specs that do not reflect true capabilities of their products so all info on the PSU label doesn't mean much except for the brand, just look for the brand: All Antecs (Channel Well) are good (Antec True Power is better), Fortron (Sparkle), Sirtec (Enlight, Vantec, Thermaltake), or more expensive Herolchi (Heroichi), PC Power and Cooling, C or not as good but not dangerous HEC, TTGI, Zalman (Aopen).

hey dragon, thanks for the link. lost of good info.

thanks for the rec's on PSU's as well guys.

another question that i have is i keep my computer on all the time. maybe turning it off once a week. how will these puppies stand up to that? will it be ok, ok will i need to shut down every time im done?

You're fine either way. As long as the noise doesn't bother you and your temps are not sky high. Many people never shut down...

Back