• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pentium 2 cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prankstar008

I recentaly found out that my old hp with a p2 can very be easily overclocked. How are you supposed to cool a pentium 2? I hadn't started ocing untill the p3 and when I saw the heat sink on this thing i freeked out and didnt know what to do. Any sugestions?

First step, tell us if its a slot 1 or socket 370, second step, get a good cooler, fith fans, if its the slot 1 one, it might be hard, if its socket 370, i think a fair amount of the socket a coolers will get you there... actually, just about any socket a cooler, that uses a clip to hook on the socket...

I sure hope you got a Socket 370, and a bx chiåpset or something, go get a new P3 cpu, and oc the heck out of it, will actually make it a usefull PC for quite a few games.. that is, with a proper 8-32 Mb grapphics in it...

Take care..
B!

You'll need an SECC (Single Edge Contact Cartridge) heatsink for Slot 1 processors.

The Pentium II (both Klamath & Deschutes editions) were only available in the Slot 1 form factor. There are no Socket 370 Pentium 2's.

Popular coolers for the Pentium II include:

Alpha HO-FAN
Alpha SuperHO-FAN
Alpha K7HO-FAN
Global Win VOS-32
ThermalTake Golden Orb Slot 1

Or, if you just want generic cooling, you can pick up items at any local computer store or E-Bay.

//Edit: I should note that there were 2 different packaging types for the Pentium II. This picture will describe it. Make sure you get a cooler that fits your specific type of Pentium II.

secc2s.jpg

he stock cooling on all P2's are just fine.

The Retail cooling package is great. The OEM is allright, provided they put a shroud on it and connected it to a case fan.

I promise, the RAM or the board will run out before the PII will so long as it's a 350-450 P2

Wow, we have a PII-350 on a Gigabyte 440BX board - could we have a little OCing gem? The board offers FSB adjustment, so could it cope with 133FSB?

Sorry about my poor description....it is a slot 1. I did just add a 80mm exhaust fan on the case. I'm still a little afarid to overclock it untill I get a probe on it. But the thing looks so wierd...i dont know where to put a probe. I did put my hand on the hs today and it was cold to the touch. (although the computr wasn't under heavy load). Anyway thank you all I think I have a little better idea of what I can do. Ill let you know the results. Also, the jumpers have been soldered...so i willhave to remove the whole mb to de-solder them and then resolder to up the FSB. I also read that the hs i have is supposed to be passive, since i have 2 fans blowing on it, i thing cooling will be fine.

Last edited:
I went to PC CLUB today to buy a new fan...the guy there said all I needed was new thermal grease. I allready have arctic silver 3 at home so I didn't take any. My real question is how do you apply thermal grease to a p2? the thing is so darn wierd looking i don't even know where to begin. (Perhaps a bath in thermal grease will do the job)

L337 M33P said:
Wow, we have a PII-350 on a Gigabyte 440BX board - could we have a little OCing gem? The board offers FSB adjustment, so could it cope with 133FSB?
many BX boards can do it, yours may be able to as well, just make sure you have PC133 ram in there, PC100 may not be able to do 133MHz. give it a shot.

Save your time and money

dude..... save your time & money from trying to overclock P2 slot1. Just buy new system (socket 370 mobo and Celeron 1.3A combo for $90) and you'll be impress with the speed. Better yet if you invest directly in P4 system.

But it's fun!

Plus it helps you to understand what overclocking in the olden days was about :p

For 33% extra speed I'm willing to give it a go.

Those older CPUs though, usually it's pretty hard to damage them with heat, until you bang the voltage up stupid high, so you can keep banging up the overclock until it locks up, then back off. Back in the "old days" :rolleyes: we never had no temp sensors (and had to walk 25 miles to school barefoot in 20ft snowdrifts :D ) and used to figure that if you could still hold a finger on the heatsink, it was cool enough.

Some guys would crack open the cartridge and reapply thermal grease inside between the CPU die and cache module and the cartridge, some even would throw out the cartridge and mount a heatsink just on the die and cache module.

Actually I think the front page articles reach back to that era if you want to take a trip in the wayback machine. Take a look at all the celeron 300A stuff the principles are similar.

regards,

Road Warrior

I think the PII-350 has a temp sensor - in the motherboard BIOS there is a hardware monitoring section (voltages woohoo :D) and it says the CPU temp is about 43C. Of course this is with a fanless case and the HS is probably clogged up to the fan bracket with dust....

But it's fun!

Plus it helps you to understand what overclocking in the olden days was about

For 33% extra speed I'm willing to give it a go.

It is a lot more fun trying to do this with jumpers rather than just changing the BIOS....Im obviously not going for better gaming speed (it a PENTIUM 2 hello?) I'm just in this for the love of overclocking. Thanks for all the posts.

prankstar008 said:
I went to PC CLUB today to buy a new fan...the guy there said all I needed was new thermal grease. I allready have arctic silver 3 at home so I didn't take any. My real question is how do you apply thermal grease to a p2? the thing is so darn wierd looking i don't even know where to begin. (Perhaps a bath in thermal grease will do the job)

LOFL. I have the P2 450 and thought I would overclock that sucka a while back.

You will need to put some thermal grease at two points. First you must unclip the fan and then take off the cpu heatsink by opening them 4 screws at the edges of the sink...hex screws is what they are I believe. Once that's off you should see where intel applied their thermal grease. Mine was all dried up and so I cleared that off and placed some more here after the next part.

I also applied some AS3 to the core ;) This was a bit more difficult todo. I couldn't figure out how to take the damn plastic casing off the thing...in the end I just yanked it off lol. Umm yeah then I cleared the grease off and began applying the as3. Point to note was that the chache chips would not make proper contact with the heatsink. Intel had just stuck a load of thermal goop there instead...weird. So I got some thin pieces of metal and stuck them on hehehe :)

Stick everything back together and your done. Some people leave the plastic casing off as you can place a fan to cool the back. Personally it made no difference as my ram was wank :( Fun though :)

I've made the decision to just up the FSB from 66 to 75 (I believe that there is also an 85 but ill start small). I'm just gonna clean the hs and leave the 80mm blowing on it and hope for the best. Basically what ive gathered is it will probably run somewhat cool with no extra cooling. (this is not a high preformance processor were talking about anyway). I'll go and do the acctual overclock this weekend and post the results after. Thanks for the help!

Back