• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions on Northbridge Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MonkEY-123

Well about 2 hours ago my ABIT IC7s stock Northbridge fan "U" loop clip just fell off, and i would like to try a new NB fan that doesnt use the clips like the Zalman NB-32J with the Epoxy.

I have a P4 2.4C, and it will be overclocked to 3GHz and 1GHz FSB, like I had on this NB fan, do you think the NB-32J will be good enough cooling for 250FSBx4?

-5 Case fans
-Spark 7 CPU HSF

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

The fix is pretty easy, this happened to me but I returned the board but you can fix this easily.

Take the mobo out, then get a soldering iron and resolder the ring by placing a tiny dab of solder on the two spots for each ring, If you do it carefully the solder wont even come near the Mobos PCB as your just soldering the ends of the rings on the back of thr mobo, while your there put a small dab of solder on the remaining rings so they will NEVER fall out again.

A friend of mine didnt like the fact that my IC7 ring popped out, so I went to his house and I did what I mentioned to his IC7 and his rings will NEVER come out.

If you want a good air cooled, albeit expensive Northbridge solution check this out, http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=232537

If your into H20 cooling the MCW20 by Swiftech will be released sometime this week.

Or you can do it the poor mans way like me. If you have like spare heatsinks around epoxy them to northbridge. I had a spare AMD stock heatsink from a tbred so i used that. Works awesome cause it is such a big heatsink and since my case has good airflow i get pretty nice temps on it.

Constantinos said:
Or you can do it the poor mans way like me. If you have like spare heatsinks around epoxy them to northbridge. I had a spare AMD stock heatsink from a tbred so i used that. Works awesome cause it is such a big heatsink and since my case has good airflow i get pretty nice temps on it.

What happens if you decide to watercool your Northbridge later on? :p

Hey today was a good day, I FINALLY found the maker of a Northbridge block Ive had for over a year and a half. Only a few were made and I was doing some troll research at [H] and some guy got frustrated and sold off a whole box full of high quality h20 'shtuffs' (Eheims, Dangerden, Tygon, Baybuses and this block.

I looked everywhere for info on this tiny but great performing little block and found the info today by accident.

http://3rotor.homelinux.com/ (its the one in the top left)

This is about the only size block you could use Thermal adhesive on, and you'd have to be braver than me to do it. :rolleyes:

I sent an email to Bladerunner asking him to help me make this block work on my IC7 once it comes back from Abit

Back