• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 58 C too hot for a 2500+ Barton running at 2.2 at 1.75v core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dinominator

I've overclocked my 2500+ Barton to 2.2GHz and the voltage has to be set to 1.75 for it to run stable. I am priming it right now, and so far I havn't had any problems, but the temp seems a bit high (58 C). My case temp is 40 C, and my CPU fan is a thermaltake 11+ Xaser Edition. I plan on doing a burn in soon so I can drop this temperature a bit, but I was just wondering if 58 was safe.

*Update*
It just errord out. I am going to do a burn in running it at 1.2 GHz at 1.75v core. I hope this helps. My goal is to get this chip up to a stable 3200+ at reasonable temperatures and voltage.

What FSB?
You may need 1.8 v to hit higher.

If you pass the Torture Test for 12 hours at 58 C under stress, I would run with it.

Other then getting a Thermalright SK7 heatsink, the only other possible hope for lowering temps would be to make sure you applied Thermal paste in the way described here:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_instructions.htm

P.S. Lapping may help a little. I've never done it but:

"Lapping is the process of sanding the bottom of the heatsink, so that it is very smooth and shiny. When you first receive your heatsink, run your fingernail across the bottom of it and you will feel lots of little ridges or bumps. The purpose of lapping is to remove these ridges.

What you want to do is take a piece of wet sandpaper and lay it on a smooth flat surface, and then set the heatsink on the sandpaper. I use a figure 8 motion to sand the bottom of the heatsink myself. I start with a 600 grit sandpaper, then move up to a 1000 grit, and finally a 1500 grit. When finished, the bottom of the heatsink should be smooth and shiny looking."

Also, how many case fans are we talking about here?

Dinominator said:
I've overclocked my 2500+ Barton to 2.2GHz and the voltage has to be set to 1.75 for it to run stable. I am priming it right now, and so far I havn't had any problems, but the temp seems a bit high (58 C). My case temp is 40 C, and my CPU fan is a thermaltake 11+ Xaser Edition. I plan on doing a burn in soon so I can drop this temperature a bit, but I was just wondering if 58 was safe.

*Update*
It just errord out. I am going to do a burn in running it at 1.2 GHz at 1.75v core. I hope this helps. My goal is to get this chip up to a stable 3200+ at reasonable temperatures and voltage.

I don't consider 1.75 volts "burning in" voltage.

I have a Lian Li PC-71 Case, 2 front intake fans and 2 exaust fans in the back. I am going to add 2 more exaust fans really soon. Probably Tomorow.

When I installed my chip, I had put a lot of thermal compound on and mybe I put too mutch on?? I plan on also getting some better thermal compound, but I am new to buying thermal compound and I've always used the stuff that came with the fan/motherboard.

What would be a good voltage for burning in then? I don't want to fry the chip and I don't know what is safe for microscopic transistors. I'll run the chip at 133x5=665 MHz which is the slowest I can do (I think). I'll aslo underclock my video card while burning in this chip so I can lower the case temp.

More system specs:
DFI LAN PARTY NFII ULTRA
My CPU information is:
.....AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton 333 FSB
.....AXDA2500DKV4D Z314217280889
.....AQXEA 0331RPMW 1999 AMD
OCZ PC4000 1024 MB Dual Channel DDR Kit Gold Edition (2x512)
ATI AIW Radeon 9800 Pro (not overclocked yet;))

You've discovered a possible source of your heat problem.
Many people apply too much thermal paste. Only a very fine coat is needed.
Read the link provided above for the instructions on how to apply Thermal paste. Follow it carefully.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_instructions.htm

Ceramique thermal paste is the best but in a month there will be new Arctic Silver 5, beating it.

Many people, myself included, respectfully disagree with Tyranos on the voltage issue whereby we think 1.8 volts Vcore is the max absolutely acceptable safe limit for permanent Vcore.

OK Tomorow, i'll re-apply some thermal compound following that link and install 2 more case fans. I'll begin Burning in my chip at 1.75 v Core at 665 and hopefully my temps will drop. Right now my system is running at 1.2 GHz at 1.75v priming at 49 C. I'll lower it to 665, and let it run like this for tonight.

As soon as I get a chance I'll be getting some of that Arctic Silver 5.

Thanks for the help.

Well my system is running at 500 MHz at 1.76 v core and the temps are 37 case, and 42 CPU with prime 95 crunching

Back