• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 64 @ 2.8ghz does SuperPi in 30 seconds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm...This Super_PI is pretty cool. Maybe we could have a poll? How long does it take your pc to do Super_PI? Just a suggestion :)

SuperPi is a arithmetic benchmark, and AMD processors have always done better than Intel at math So this isn't a good indication of performance with EVERY task, just number crunching (these would kick *** at Folding).

donny_paycheck said:
(these would kick *** at Folding)

Are there any folding benchmarks out there in regards to the A64?

Who's going to be the first one on Team 32?

Not me. :)

If the current Opterons didn't require ECC RAM and they O/Ced better I'd be all over one. If there was a 939-pin A64 datasheet somewhere around we could probably figure out what pin was extra and pull it to eliminate the requirement for ECC RAM.

I bet it won't be long after the A64s come out that someone hits 3ghz.

30 seconds? Whoa.... Right, if they did not require ecc ram I would be all over this as well. Got about a gig of pc-3200 regular ram sitting around and wouldnt want that to go to waste. :)

yea the chip looks awesome.. the fact that you need to buy a new mobo/ram/cpu to make this upgrade turns alot of ppl off =p

Skiing Squirrel said:
30 seconds? Whoa.... Right, if they did not require ecc ram I would be all over this as well. Got about a gig of pc-3200 regular ram sitting around and wouldnt want that to go to waste. :)

Well, the S754 version doesn't require ECC. Only the 940-pin versions do; they're basically just Opterons. The 939-pin version will not require ECC RAM either. I think the A64 that they had up to 2.8 was an S754 chip.

cherryp00t said:
yea the chip looks awesome.. the fact that you need to buy a new mobo/ram/cpu to make this upgrade turns alot of ppl off =p

I hear ya. Just dropped a bundle on parts for a new work machine. Would be awfully hard to spring for all of those new parts for my gaming rig now. Seeing stuff like this is just driving me mad though! :bang head:

Deathknight said:

I hear ya. Just dropped a bundle on parts for a new work machine. Would be awfully hard to spring for all of those new parts for my gaming rig now. Seeing stuff like this is just driving me mad though! :bang head:

dont forget =d next year they'll move the Athlon FX to 939 pin using non registered memory...

this will again lead to a new processor/ram/mobo upgrade =d can we say obsolete? =d

Back