• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System won't post when memory frequency changed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Graeme

I have a P4 2.8 on an Asus P4S8X-X mobo. FSB is 133 as standard with 21x multiplier.

Have taken it FSB to 147 = 3.07 ghz all cool and stable but memory is running synchronus with FSB. Any faster and I start to have problems - temps OK but 3D Mark 2003 falls over.

I think the processor should go quicker and that memory is perhaps the problem. The bios gives me the option to set the memory 75%, 100%, 125% or 150% of FSB. Have tried to lower memory frequency to 75% but the system won't post on this. (Memory = PC2700 - 333mhz)

Any ideas how to lower the memory frequency from 1:1 and still get the PC to start!

Wannoc, your reply go me thinking and I checked the manufacturers site at the link

http://www.elixir-memory.com/products/file/M2U51264DS8HB2G-R1.0-0318.pdf

The spec states that it will run at speeds of up to 166mhz. That being the case I assume there will be no problems with the memory running synchronous with FSB of less than 166mhz?

Can anyone confirm that - if so I can rule memory out as the cause of problems above 147 mhz FSB.

Back