• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What am I doing wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevral

Registered
Been having trouble installing my CPU heatsink properly.

I just reinstalled it, putting on a very thin layer of AS3, and centering it on the processor better than it used to be (or so it looked, at least).

Problem is, the CPU temp (measured by MBM5) is a couple of degrees higher than it was the last time I installed the heatsink. (all fans at the same setting)

-What can I have done wrong?
-Is it likely that I have put on a too-thin layer of goop (used a scalpel, made it REAL thin)?

I am running an XP2800+ non-OC'ed on a NF7-S v2.0, using a Coolermaster Aero 7+ running flat out, with five 80mm Enermax case fans also running flat out.
This gets me an idle temp of 38 C, whereas it was about 35 C last time, when I put on a messy lot of goop.

-Anyone have any suggestions?

I think it takes sometime for AS3 to set in. Acording to their website about 200 hours but I think that can be speeded up by running a load program (*cough* Folding@Home). I think your expected to see 3-5 degree temp drop once the AS3 sets up.

kevral said:
Been having trouble installing my CPU heatsink properly.

I just reinstalled it, putting on a very thin layer of AS3, and centering it on the processor better than it used to be (or so it looked, at least).

Problem is, the CPU temp (measured by MBM5) is a couple of degrees higher than it was the last time I installed the heatsink. (all fans at the same setting)

-What can I have done wrong?
-Is it likely that I have put on a too-thin layer of goop (used a scalpel, made it REAL thin)?

I am running an XP2800+ non-OC'ed on a NF7-S v2.0, using a Coolermaster Aero 7+ running flat out, with five 80mm Enermax case fans also running flat out.
This gets me an idle temp of 38 C, whereas it was about 35 C last time, when I put on a messy lot of goop.

-Anyone have any suggestions?

Im thinking nothing is wrong, a 3C difference in an Idle temp is really nothing. Temps chages can be caused by so many different things its not necessarly your heatsink. Load temps are the ones you should watch out for, other than that i wouldnt loose to much sleep over it.

Far as I could tell, everything else was about equal, the first application of AS3 didn't get time to set, either.

Right now, with all fans set to a more tolerable level, I get cpu temps of 41-42, whereas it used to be running at 39, so it's still about three degrees off.

But if 3 degrees in idle temp is little to worry about (think you're right about that) I'll probably just leave it until I want to overclock:)

Although I am not too happy about running in the forties....:)

Thanks!

Back