• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out of curiosity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a hdd cooler that fills a drive bay and blows air down on my hdd. I think it was a waste of $10 because i didnt notice any difference.

I never really understood the point of a hard drive heat sink. CompUSA had one on sale for $7.50 a couple of weeks back, but I just couldn't see it actually DOING anything. My hard drives are 7200 RPMs, but 15k RPM drives don't really even benefit from a heat sink. I think it's a "mine is bigger than yours" thing. :rolleyes:

I have some regular 80mm intake fans blowing across most of my hdds. and the ones sitting in the bottom of case (very small case) has the 120mm intake fan blowing across them. no heatsinks though.

I use an Antec HDD twin fan cooler, and it doesn't seem like it makes much differance. It's just for peace of mind that at least I know my HDD has airflow over it.

2x92mm fans blowing through the cage where the 2 Sata 7200.7 drives are mounted, also serving as only air intake for a somewhat over populated 4U 19" rack case...

For all i can tell, smart features report that both drives are at 25 C so it has to be doing "its thing"

B!

cursor said:
I never really understood the point of a hard drive heat sink. CompUSA had one on sale for $7.50 a couple of weeks back, but I just couldn't see it actually DOING anything....

i can tell that you were never lucky enough to own one of the fabled deathstars :D

but yeah... drive cooling == good

i cool my HD's with 2 80mm fans modded into the front fascia of my case... and my 60GXP is still running strong :D

illig said:

i can tell that you were never lucky enough to own one of the fabled deathstars :D

but yeah... drive cooling == good

i cool my HD's with 2 80mm fans modded into the front fascia of my case... and my 60GXP is still running strong :D

Yeah that is what the problem with those was; heat (For the most part anyway) that is the main reason they died prematurely.
Also to the person that thinks cooling hardrives has no benefit, there is one example^^ also my maxtor 60GB hard drive ran as high as 55°C:eek: (I dont like it when my harddrive runs hotter then my cpu!) , now with one 80mm panaflo blowing accross it it never goes above 35°C.:D

i had two of those damn hard drives and both died
had 2 80mm fans in front of them as well (antec 1000amg case comes with fans 3.5" drive adapters)
i refuse to believe that cooling was an issue..
hard drives are designed to run at high temps, HD. cooling is just makes money for manfac. that make cooling products. If you're really paranoid about cooling your HD, then just put two stock p4 heatsinks as passive cooling, which would do a better job then fans and a small surface area.
or u can even be a little smarter and use that 10-20 or even 30 bucks on cooling to get a better hard drive that lasts.

Yeah, I have an angled 80mm fan blowing in the HD's direction.
Much needed when you got 1 pcs of 7200 rpm + 2 pcs of 15K rpm drives humming along...

hehe.. the 15K rpm ones already comes with a heatsink look on the outside!

Those are HD coolers are a HUGE waste of money in my mind unless you don't have any case fans blowing across them. I personally have an 80mm case fan blowing over mine and they stay cool.

guys its not worth the extra noise..
i've had my WD 40gb for 4 years now, it was never cooled and got hot as hell usually within 15 min after boot up and its still running good to today. All my old maxtor hard drives 20g and below have also been running great even when i had them between rubber foam ot keep them quiet which made them heat even more. It all depends on the quality of your HD, most of my seagate HD failed or atleast started making weird metallic noises and ALL of my IBM HD died right on the spot (even after getting them fixed with warrenty) So like i said before, just read some reviews, get a good hard drive, save TIME and maybe money, and be happy.

Korndog said:
guys its not worth the extra noise..
i've had my WD 40gb for 4 years now, it was never cooled and got hot as hell usually within 15 min after boot up and its still running good to today. All my old maxtor hard drives 20g and below have also been running great even when i had them between rubber foam ot keep them quiet which made them heat even more. It all depends on the quality of your HD, most of my seagate HD failed or atleast started making weird metallic noises and ALL of my IBM HD died right on the spot (even after getting them fixed with warrenty) So like i said before, just read some reviews, get a good hard drive, save TIME and maybe money, and be happy.

so you killed a bunch of your hard drives by running them in your oven like case and you're saying that HD cooling is BS?:rolleyes:

Back