• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why won't it shut down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuda

I just got this thing up yesterday, but I can't seem to get it to shutdown when windows shuts down. It just re-starts, unless I hit the power switch as soon as windows closes. I have poured over the bios settings, but I can't find anything. Am I missing something somewhere? System is in the sig.

What version of Windows are you running?

If it's 98, there is a known shutdown problem w/ the Windows exit sound. If it is 98, go into your sounds (control panel) and change the Windows exit sound to "none".

Otherwise??

I'm running XP. I have never had this problem before. I thought maybe I was missing something in the BIOS.

Windows shuts down completely, but the system restarts. Maybe I can reload XP and try again.

I'm not sure what changes you're refering to. Anyway, I shut down windows last night, and the machine shut down too! I think it was an instability issue, since I have been pushing things pretty hard. I was trying to go too far, too fast and I think that was the problem. I slowed everything way down last night and the problem is gone.
Thanks for the help. Hopefully, I'll remember this in case anyone else has the same problem.

Back