• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How high will it go?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuda

Sig is now stable at:

219*11 2419
1.75Vcore
NO Vdd changes made!
Temps are a little high 43C idle 47 load. Hopefully, after the AS3 cooks in my temps will come down.

Nice. Congratulations. Wow, where did you get the rev2 of 8RDA+?
Be sure to Prime95 Torture test it for 12 hours.
That heatsink does wonders doesn't it?

37(min) C to 46(max) C Winter ; 42(min) C to 50(max) C Summer
Epox 8RDA+
Thermalright SK-7 with variable speed 80x25mm YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 350W Antec SmartPower SL350

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I took a chance on the mobo and bought it on ebay. The seller swore it was new. When I got it, I chacked the screw holes with a magnifying glass to see if it had been installed. I found no indications that showed it had. The seller had excellent ratings or I wouldn't have even considered it. I asked him where he got it, he said it was an RMA replacement. He said he didn't want to wait for the replacement so he bought another mobo and sold this one. I got the feeling he didn't know what he had!
I'm going to prime it again tonight and let it run untill I get home from work tomorrow. It ran for a little over three hours earlier with no errors, but I'm going to really stress it tonight.

I got up this morning and found prime95 locked up. Actually the whole machine was locked up...nuts. I notice the +3.3 rail is at 2.7! Time for a different P/S? This one came with the case.

<edit>MBM reports rails as follows:

+3.3 @ 2.72
+5 @ 4.89
+12 @ 12.52

3.3 seems to be the only bad rail, though the 5v is looking tired, so you could try a new psu, or just back down a bit and see if they jump back to spec. 450w seems like it would be way more than enough, then again, guess it depends on the psu

I did some tweaking earlier:

FSB 220
Vcore 1.8
Vdd 1.8
Vdimm 1.65
Mem Freq 100%

Prime95 stable so far after 4 hours and still running.

220*11=2420
Ram at 220
CPU temp at 47º

I feel good about this combination hitting 2500 on air cooling!

<edit> BTW +3.3 is now down to 2.59:eek:
That does it, I'm buying a sparkle!....but still STABLE???? WOW!

You got that right. I just got this case from Newegg! I'm going to pull the P/S and replace it. But no RMA. I got what I paid for. I'll just use the P/S in something else. Maybe a new machine for the kids.

Before you toss the PSU, double check that 3.3V rail with a voltmeter.
I have an Antec true power 430, with the same board, only ver.1.1. and my 3.3 rail volts are a little low too.
Volts are as follows......
12v = 11.91,
5v = 4.91,
3.3v = 3.06,
-12v = 12.16,
-5v = 5.30,
5vsb = 4.80.
Could it be the volt meters built into the board are wrong? Because when i check the 5 volt rail, i get 5.06 volts. When i check the 3.3volt rail, i get 3.38 volts. i tested it with a fluke 77 multimeter, and again with a fluke 87, and the readouts were always the same.....
just some insight.......

Thanks for the advice. I'll get my meter out this afternoon. I got up this morning and found that Prime95 had failed after 5 hours 36 minutes at 220*11....back to the drawing board.

IT"S FINALLY STABLE FOR REAL!

13 hours 11 minutes of pPrime95 blend: 0 errors, 0 warnings!

Final settings:

FSB: 205
Multi: 12
Vcore: 1.85
Vdd: 2.0

205*12=2460

MBM reports: 2470?

WCPUID reports : 2469.88?

Temps got scary for me last night at about 11:00. 51ºC I almost shut it down, but the house was starting to cool down pretty good so I let it go. It was down to 47 when I got up and is now down to 40.

Can somebody tell me how to post the WCPUID screen here? I would really like to show off my first overclock, even if isn't all that great. Damn I'm excited! It's almost like I felt when my first child was born!

thats a very impressive overclock. especially considering the questionability of your psu. I've got the exact chip running 203*12.5 = 2.536ghz on air cooling so my bet is you'll hit 2.5ghz without a problem once you get a new psu.

Thanks, I'm working on getting the wcpuid posted if I can figure out how to get 59.9k uploaded somewhere.

I figure the psu and ram are both bottlenecks, but I'll hold off on changing the ram until I get a new p/s.

The 8RDA+ does not output the voltage for the 3.3v. You're getting 2.62 or something to that effect right? That's the memory.

Right now, MBM has the 3.3 at 2.72. So thats not the true +3.3 reading? The +5 reading is 4.84, according to MBM. I haven't had a chance to put the meter on it yet.

Cuda said:
Right now, MBM has the 3.3 at 2.72. So thats not the true +3.3 reading? The +5 reading is 4.84, according to MBM. I haven't had a chance to put the meter on it yet.

No, it's not the 3.3v line. Look in the BIOS. That same voltage will be labelled as the VDimm, which is the memory voltage. If the voltage were that low on the 3.3v line I doubt anything would run properly at all.

Great thanks, I have the Vdimm in auto right now, it's the only way I could stay stable. I will change it to a different setting and slow things down a bit so I can double check. BTW I'm still worried about the +5 rail.

hmmm....i have the exact same chip and you've got my wheels turning...all of a sudden 2.4ghz feels like i'm shorting myself....did you get it from excaliberpc?

congrats on the great overclock btw.

Cuda said:
Great thanks, I have the Vdimm in auto right now, it's the only way I could stay stable. I will change it to a different setting and slow things down a bit so I can double check. BTW I'm still worried about the +5 rail.

My 5+ rail is always around 4.75v. You can't rely on software readouts. They are inaccurate and are generally good to give you an idea of fluctuation but not actual reads. It's all about stability. My system is rock solid so I know the 4.75v isn't a problem. See what I mean?

Back