• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LawyerLynn

My computer info is in my sig. below. I tried to adjust my OC by raising the FSB to 220 and dropping the multiplier to 10.5. When I rebooted I got a black screen with nothing. I shut down and rebooted, same thing. I opened the case, removed the battery and did the jumper re-set to clear my CMOS, put the jumper back and re-installed the battery, rebooted and still I get a black screen. No post "beep" and no ability to enter the cmos and reset anything. I'm using UBER Bios 1004 if that makes a difference. voltage for RAM and CPU was set at 1.8 each. Any ideas? Why can't I reset the BIOS to default states? HELP!!

Try unplugging your power supply along with the jumper and battery changes. Leave it for a few minutes. You can also try doing the forced default settings by pressing insert as soon as you power on. (not sure if it will work on an asus, but it works on abit and epox)

Tyranos said:
Try unplugging your power supply along with the jumper and battery changes. Leave it for a few minutes. You can also try doing the forced default settings by pressing insert as soon as you power on. (not sure if it will work on an asus, but it works on abit and epox)

Tried it, doesn't work, any other ideas before I try to do a hot flash of the BIOS or order a new BIOS chip?

wow, how odd, i personally never use the jumper to clear cmos, i just unplug computer, and pull out battery for 20 seconds, and that does it, if you say it dosn't work, then a new bios chip might be needed, when you get it, also, upgrade to the 1005uber bios

Try using only one stick of Ram and install it on Slot 1 or 2. Sounds like your CPU is overclocked and you need to get into Bios to reset your CPU speed.

Thanks for your assistance guys (and gals?). The problem is solved, but not in the way you suggested (though I don't mean to disparage your ideas, they may have worked). I had another identical Mobo that died earlier this year due to a short in the power supply which killed (actually it melted and burned) the Mobo's power connection. I almost threw it away when I replaced it, but instead I bought a"shadow box" and created "computer art" using some extra fans, 72 pin SIMS, cables, etc. and hung it on my wall. I had forgotten about it until I was going to bed last night and the thought hit me "Hey, I've got an identical Mobo that shorted out the power supply but was working until then and I didn't take out the battery or cmos chip when I used it to make "computer art." So, this morning I took out the battery and used the clear cmos jumper on the "computer art" mobo and then removed the cmos chip. I then took out the cmos in my 'puter that was not working and replaced it with the "computer art" cmos chip and VOILA, computer booted and all is now well!!!

It just goes to show ya' that art is good for more than just looking at. It has a practical aspect as well. :)

this been going on for months. they are 2 things cause that.. one, the battery is not eough volt for the cmos to save your setting. it will wait for the eprom to save the setting forever. it got to be above 3V or more in order for the eprom to save. second, the bad eprom chip. asus been changing they eprom vendor. I RMA one of my board b4 because it won't post and I got bad eprom. I wish I read your post earlier so I could help u out :D since is good u help yourself and u learn from it... hahahaha

Back