• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB vs Dual Channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turbo Rick

Right then, apologies if this has already been covered, but I couldn't anything like this anywhere and its bugging the h#ll outta me.

I've got a bit of a query, an Althon running fsb and ram in sync (in single channel mode) isn't really memory limited, so when its running in dual channel (on a NF2 board), theres plenty of unused bandwidth.
My question is this, when running dual channel instead of always cranking the ram speed up in sync with the fsb to get more performance per mhz, what affect will LOWERING the ratio of ram to fsb have, say running the ram at 166mhz (effective 333 real mhz) and the fsb at 233mhz? running the ram at this speed will also allow for more aggressive timings to be used, but still allow the cpu to access more memory bandwidth.

Will doing this cause more latency problems, due to the two being out of sync or not? I've only got a single stick of ram at the moment and so can't test this. If anyone wants to try this or has any thoughts then please post here!!

Cheers

Rick

More than likely you would take a performance hit, although I admit I have never tried this exact combination. Under every situation I have tried async in however, sync performed better.

Back