• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound like I hit the wall??? (1700+ Question)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TruckyJ

Hey. I just got a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L and have been overclocking my 1700+ like a wild man. It is a 1700+ JIUCB, and I have not been able to get the processor to post much beyond 1.95Ghz. This number is the maximum stable speed for any FSB/multiplier combo I have tried.

At 1.95 Ghz the processor is totally stable (SuperPi, Prime95, Sandra Burn-In tested). If I go ANY beyond this it all goes down the toilet though. Does it sound like this may be the end of the road with this processor? I know other steppings of 1700+'s can go much higher. The only voltage mod I have done is with the CPU which is set to 1.8v. Any thoughts on how I could push higher?

Thanks for the input.

:D

Last edited:
sounds like it but thats awful for a tbredb. what type of heatsink are you using? also what are your load temps and your power rails. My guess is either heat problem or power problem as a 330w is a stretch going over 2ghz.

I'm waiting for my 1700+, but everybody here says that a t-bred, A or B, will reach up to 2 Ghz and above. Sounds like the heatsink.

Also heard that people use (for the B t-bred) a multiplier of 12.5 on a FSB of 180 to 210 with 1.7 volts. Try increasing the voltage, but if you have, go for a higher multiplier and a slightly lower FSB. And if it still fails, lower the multiplier down to 9 and increase the FSB to 210 (be careful). If none of this works, IT'S YOUR COOLER. Try these, but be careful. Hope you get it:)

Poeple usually don't list their cooling if they're using retail cooling.
Retail Thoroughbred cooling is not supposed to get you anywhere near there so it's kind of strange what you're doing 2 GHz on and what the temps are.

my cooling setup....

No it is NOT retail. Retail setups do stink, you are correct. My friends have used retail HS's on thier boards and thier idle temps were as high as my current full load temp.

For cooling I am running a Glacialtech Igloo 2500 Pro. Full load temps are 42-44 C....Idle is 35-37C. I'm sorry, but this does not seem high from what I have read in other posts (those load temps are after an hour or two 100% CPU utilization). Are these temps beyond where they should be???

AntecTru power's from the many reviews I have read are very conservativly rated PS's (as in the max output could very well be beyond 400w), but it could be that. I don't have much else running off of it though, 1 HD, 1 Optical and a few fans. I don't know if thats it or not. Tell me what to tell you about the lines. There are 3.3v, 5v, and 12v...I do not have a metering device to check them though.

Last edited:
well its not the temps. 40's under load is perfectly acceptable. Do you have a spare power supply to test? That would be my guess at this point. I'm assuming you started with fsb of 133 and just overclocked using the multiplier to eliminate the ram from the equation.

Yeah, I have tested the results of just a multiplier adjustment, and I get the same Mhz stopping point.

Unfortunately I do not have another power supply for testing purposes.

I doubt it is the PSU. Even though it's 330W, TruPowers are best Antec PSUs and Antec brand is more than a solid power supply company.

I have a 350W Antec SmartPower which is not as good as TruPower.

You have a Thoroughbred B that crapped out at 2 GHz. You can probably do more with dangerously high voltage (not recommended).

You say even with low FSB x high multi you reach the same highest MHz so it's got to be the CPU, where did you buy it by the way, list full code (like MPMW)

37(min) C to 46(max) C Winter ; 42(min) C to 50(max) C Summer
Epox 8RDA+
Thermalright SK-7 with variable speed 80x25mm YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 350W Antec SmartPower SL350

Back