• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp 1700+ week 302 vs week 312 and..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ixnay

Couple questions....

I'll get straight to the point..

I found a AXDA1700DUT3C JIUHB0318TPMW at gameve.com for 49$ and a AXDA1700DUT3C JIUHB:0302 MPM at excaliberpc.com for 60.50$ which one would you guys recommend for a bang:buck ratio?

I'm planning on putting it in an Abit NF7 and maybe NF7-S if I feel froggish...

Next question, cooling- Is it logical to think I can spend @30$ for cooling and get into the 2.4-2.5ghz range?

Do you think maybe skimp on the cooling and go barton 2500+ with retail fan and get into the 2.4-2.5's? (the 30 i save on the fan for a 1700 will get me a 2500+ barton at www.buyxg.com but no guaranteed stepping)

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks guys!

I don't think you'll get a DUT3C to 2.4-2.5 without unsafe voltages.

Spend a few more bucks for the DLT3C version of the 1800 or 1700 at excaliber. Those are consistently hitting 2.4 at relatively safe voltages on air.

Or you could get a Barton.

BTW, DUT3C will generally get you 2.2 to 2.3. My 2100 with the same steppings got me 2.2 at 1.775v and wouldn't get to 2.3 until 1.925v.

I guess for actual bang for the buck, the $49 CPU is incredible, reaching 3200+ speeds. But then again the $30 more might be worth 200mhz to you.

I'm unable to locate anywhere selling DLT3C's(1700+), can you point me in the right direction?

Ok you've convinced me to go with the 1800+ from excaliber...

Now on to cooling, do you know of anywhere that has a deal on your same combo of SK7 and Tornado, everywhere I go they only have SK7 + thermaltake or Y.S. Tech, or the SK7 is just sold out...

I'd like to order them both from the same place if at all possible.

Do you think I should stick with that same combo to maximize my performance or maybe theres a equal to, or cheaper solution?

And why the hell does every store have 10 thermaltake's to every 1 thermalright?

I'd start go with a smart fan possibly. The tornado is loud. I ended up getting a fan controller. It runs at 1/2 the speed most of the time and it does not affect my top overclock.

The Tornado is cool if you want the noise or if you can tame it somehow.

The SK-7 is a great heatsink for the price.

Ya I just was just looking through some specs on that 95Db?!?!?

Wow thats a bit too loud, the smart fan 2 looks nice...

Wow you are right, they are out of the DLT3C's at excailber, good thing I ordered mine friday night :) Should be here around wednesday along with the rest of the comp/WC parts.

Weeks, sSpecs and steppings are practically useless. This is because not every CPU from every stepping and week is overclocked, so it's impossible to know the best overall. People only know which ones seem to overclock the best. Overclocking is unpredictable because a CPU from a popular stepping/sSpec/week might overclock poorly, and likewise a CPU from an unpopular stepping/sSpec/week might do very well.

Another factor is user error. A certain CPU might be capable of 3.3GHz on air-cooling, but if the user isn't a very knowledgeable overclocker, or one or more of his components are sub-standard, he may only reach 3GHz. This user then decides to go on some forum and write about his "crappy stepping that only reaches 3GHz," when the fact is that the CPU is capable of more. This is why no stepping will guarantee a good overclock, or indicate the speed you will get. Every CPU is different, so the only way to find out how far you can overclock is to try it and see.

Akira283-IGN said:
Weeks, sSpecs and steppings are practically useless. This is because not every CPU from every stepping and week is overclocked, so it's impossible to know the best overall. People only know which ones seem to overclock the best. Overclocking is unpredictable because a CPU from a popular stepping/sSpec/week might overclock poorly, and likewise a CPU from an unpopular stepping/sSpec/week might do very well.

Another factor is user error. A certain CPU might be capable of 3.3GHz on air-cooling, but if the user isn't a very knowledgeable overclocker, or one or more of his components are sub-standard, he may only reach 3GHz. This user then decides to go on some forum and write about his "crappy stepping that only reaches 3GHz," when the fact is that the CPU is capable of more. This is why no stepping will guarantee a good overclock, or indicate the speed you will get. Every CPU is different, so the only way to find out how far you can overclock is to try it and see.

You posted the same thing in another thread. Look around the boards. You are wrong. While a stepping doesn't guarantee and overclock, we have certainly found "sure bets". Of course this implies the user know what he is doing. But anyway...

brennan77 said:

You posted the same thing in another thread. Look around the boards. You are wrong. While a stepping doesn't guarantee and overclock, we have certainly found "sure bets". Of course this implies the user know what he is doing. But anyway...

Actually, you're wrong. Unpredictability is a fundamental principle of overclocking, and it's unfortunate that you don't understand it. There are no "sure bets" because overclocking is never a guarantee. Even if a user knows how to properly overclock, that doesn't mean they will always try for the highest speed possible. Also, another component might hold the CPU back, and sometimes it's very difficult to find the source of the bottleneck. Less than 5% of CPUs are actually overclocked, so no one can argue which ones are always better than others.

Well it's absolutely silly. No one claims that there is a guarantee on an overclock in the same way that the manufacturer guarantees a clock speed. But it's simply dishonest to ignore the consistent results from different steppings and weeks.

For instance, my 2100 DUT3C would only hit 2200mhz.

I pretty much knew that getting an 1800 DLT3C would get me to 2400mhz or better. Go ahead and look at my sig for my everyday settings.

I'm not going to bother again... He's just got to look around the boards a little to see the trends. I guess negativity is more important than truth to some people.

Thats why were all here is to help each other find out what works and what doesn't. Knowing good AMD codes is a great tool for determining which processors have the BEST chance of being overclocked.

Lets just keep up the good work.

wannaoc said:
This is actually the third thread he has posted this. I think he is just trying to stir up people. Just ignore him.

Telling the truth is wrong? Sorry, I though people wanted to learn.

brennan77 said:
But it's simply dishonest to ignore the consistent results from different steppings and weeks.

No, it's intelligent. Like I already said, less than 5% of CPUs are overclocked, so no one has concrete proof of anything.

Back