• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual-channel NF2 vs. 800FSB HT P4's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

OK, I know that the dual HT p4 will win, but by how much? I'm thinking of just getting some faster, dual channel mem for my Athlon and running with it, maybe a Barton too. It'll be cheaper than building a P4 system from the ground up.

Basically post sandra scores or PC Mark, lemme know about how good a dual-channel NF2 system does around 225FSB+. P4 people post also, if it's crazy like 30-40% difference I might just go Intel.

--Illah

I'd go to Futurmark's website and search the PCMark memory scores. Perhaps more revealing of overall cpu/memory effectiveness is the 3DMark2001 scores. 865/875's memory performance flat crushes NF2's, but the overall application performance, while better, isn't night-and-day better.

Actually.. i think it might be more like 80%.. on Sandra memory bandwidth at least.

Wow, that's quite a significant lead! I had looked at futuremark a bit but those super-overclocked systems tend to skew results and make it look like you can do something you can't (at least not without 3.4vDimm or something like that).

Heh, and q149 why do you sport the AMD logo with a P4 system :)

--Illah

the difference is only in becnhmarks. in games the difference is like 5% or less. just in case this is for a game machine

No, it'll be to benefit performance in stuff like After Effects - i.e. not video editing, but compositing and FX. Ramspeed and crunching power (i.e. HT P4) is ideal for it. I just don't wanna blow $600 on a mobo, cpu, and mem combo for that when I might be able to sing $200-300 worth of updgrades to my current machine.

Basically, the better it is for SETI the better it is for what I want to do, and HTP4's dominate in that arena. But I'm still a cheap ***, so I might just grab a Barton2500 and some mem and see what happens.

--Illah

well, sandra really only shows theoretical bandwidth, but a moderately oc'd canterwood system with hq ram will give around 5500-6000mb/s in sandra, and the best i've ever seen by an nf2 system was 3800 (and that was with something like a 240mhz bus).

my mushkin black level 2 @220mhz, 2-2-2-11 on my nf7-s v2.0 gets around 3400. i've never seen an nf2 system push 4000, and i've seen intel systems close to 7,000, so it's a pretty huge difference.

if you do mem-bandwidth intensive tasks, than definitely p4 is the way to go. if you're going to upgrade though, i might wait for athlon fx. their onboard dual channel mem controller should provide mem performance comparable to the canterwood, particularly with their 3x800mhz hypertransport bus.

edit: grammar and HOLY CRAP, i just took a look at the athlon fx sandra memory benches. stock athlon fx-51, 5500mb/s vs stock p4 3.2 canterwood, 4900mb/s. looks like the days of intel mem bandwidth superiority is over, yikes...

Last edited:
the highest amd i have seen, and there was a whole thread of overclockers pushing some heavily modded nf2s, was 3918mb, the theoretical max of the amd platform would be 4k at 250fsb, cept i heard there is a new bios for the abit for 300fsb, have no idea if it is true though.

if you have the money and you want the performance, you should go intel

When are the FX's coming out? My after effects class is already underway and I'm gonna have to start chugging soon. I'm not in a major rush, but I wanna do something within the next week or two. I need to at least upgrade the mem.

--Illah

The fx is allready out, but rather expensive. There is alot of rumours going around that the socket 940 cpu's are unlocked, so if you find a motherboard (or bios) that allows multiplier changing your best option could be an opteron 140 (1.4ghz) and just overclock to your hearts desire.

Even though the processors are unlocked, the current motherboards don't have multi control. JCviggen hacked one bios to get it, but without certainty you can be on weak ice. I'd wait for a couple of days and see what motherboards people get it to work with.

Back