• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HSF advice plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unwrittenLaw

I know this should probably be in the cooling forum, but I figured since I purchased an Abit board, I could get some tips from you guys who are familiar with the board layout, etc..

Anyway, I ordered an Abit IC7-G and a 2.4 P4C with some Geil Golden Dragon PC3500.

I'm unfamiliar with HSF setups for socket 478, so what would be a good choice for me to get this thing up to 3+ Ghz. Noise is a bit of a factor, as I have a TT SmartFan II at full speed, but I dunno if I could take much more noise than that thing makes..lol

Thanks for any suggestions

Any of the previously mentioned hs are good choices. My own preference is the SLK-900-U. It can be used with either intel or amd chips. And put that smart fan II of yours on top of it & you'll be good to go.

*Edit*

Don't forget to use a good quality thermal paste like Artic Silver III or Artic Silver Ceramique. That's good for a few degrees cooler.

Last edited:
I'd have to agree with Deathname20. The SP-94 with a 92mm r0x0rs. I have it on my comp now. The fan I'm using is the Panaflo FBA09A12H. The temps are 28C Idle, 38C Load with ambient at 27C.

Ritalin said:
My vote goes for teh zalman 7000-alcu

I second that. I have it and it is sooooo quiet, the loudest thing in my computer now is that annoyingly loud Ic7 northbridge fan. The Zalman cools great too! I saw a 10C drop in load temps from the stock HSF.

imho the slk947u and sp-94 are a waste of money when you can get just below their level of performance for a bit less cash... but if you just have to have the "best" and don't mind spending money on overkill products, then by all means...

if noise is an issue like you say i'd go with the zalman... it's only .04 c/w below thermalrights top performer, and without the noise.

to spend about $20 more to get one of the new thermalright coolers to get .01 c/w is just plain dumb.

Back