• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most Overclocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
<ACIDBURN> said:
WHAT IS THE HIGHEST THAT A PROCESSOR HAS BEEN OVERCLOCKED TO? ANY ONE KNOW ????

Welcome to the forums :)

It would help members here if you could please not type in all caps, as all caps is rather hard to read and is viewed as 'shouting'.

As for the highest speed, I think Pentium4s have been overclocked to around 4200Mhz (not sure exactly) and AMD CPUs have been overclocked to around about 2900 to 3000MHz.

Yeah I have seen several 4.2-4.3 ghz p4 overclocks and a couple of 3ghz amd ocs. IMHO using ln2 is just for show and really doesn't count in my book. Sure its amazing to see a 5ghz screenshot from an ln2 cooled system but I actually like to use my system hehe.

...with extreme and very expensive cooling.

The guy's obviously a newb.

Average overclock for Athlon XP Thoroughbred B (1700+ to 2700+) and Athlon XP Barton (2500+ and up) is 2.3 GHz which has a PR rating in the 3000+s.

More than 2.3 GHz is above average and is actually reachable without too much trouble by newbs such as yourself. I'd say 3/4 of new overclockers come to this forum and say "Look what I bought, is this any good?"

The minority of new overclockers ask a different question: "I'm thinking of buying this..." Then people post what to buy, what not to buy and where to buy it.

The end result is an overclock that is almost always above average of 2.3 GHz.

So ask away before purchasing...

Good points c627627. The best performance mod you can do for your pc is before you buy parts. Research is key. Its one of the reasons I dislike those sites that list off those crazy ocs. Its definatly nice to talk to the guys here and know that you can trust the information and trust that the system can run stable in the configuration that is being recommended.

2.3 may be the average, but as time goes on, it seems most newer(by newer i mean manufacturing date, not pr rating) amd's are hitting 2.4 on air

Re: Re: Most Overclocked

David said:

Welcome to the forums :)

It would help members here if you could please not type in all caps, as all caps is rather hard to read and is viewed as 'shouting'.

As for the highest speed, I think Pentium4s have been overclocked to around 4200Mhz (not sure exactly) and AMD CPUs have been overclocked to around about 2900 to 3000MHz.

5.01GHz on a Pentium4 is the highest stable they have ever gotten and I believe people have done some SuperPI with these rigs as well.

OC-Master

what does it really matter? they all require some form of super cooling and the oc only last a short while.. ti'll they run out of LN or wateva other substance to achieve those OCs

The highest listed OC in the database is 4.7 for an AMD 1700+ T-Bred B, which i think is totally false and impractical, since a chip running that fast would have to be submerged in some sort of high flow coolant, and still wouldn't be stable enough to write an e-mail.
Highest ive seen on air is about 2.3 to 2.4 for AMD, and water can get you to around 2.5.
Any higher than 2.6 Gig and you're talking phase-change cooling, which I've done, but didn't get excellent results, just good. Lots of condensation to deal with, and temps were still negligible, bieng around 30ºC under load.

Actually good water cooling can get higher than 2.6 on an amd. I think Cathar has done like 2.8 on a barton with his water cooled rig. Ofc he hunted down the supreme chip to do it with...

Deathknight said:
Actually good water cooling can get higher than 2.6 on an amd. I think Cathar has done like 2.8 on a barton with his water cooled rig. Ofc he hunted down the supreme chip to do it with...

Indeed.

Just plain water-cooled, with a radiator, in a ~22C room. No super chilling, or ice, or anything fancy like that.

Will throw some ice in the res tomorrow and see if I can crack 2.9GHz.

Cathar said:

Indeed.

Just plain water-cooled, with a radiator, in a ~22C room. No super chilling, or ice, or anything fancy like that.

Will throw some ice in the res tomorrow and see if I can crack 2.9GHz.

Yikes! :eek: That would rock hehe

sorry for the caps have to use them at work. from my exp. 1700 can be clocked at 2.25 i have been looking to see if that could go any higher

<ACIDBURN> said:
sorry for the caps have to use them at work. from my exp. 1700 can be clocked at 2.25 i have been looking to see if that could go any higher

A 1700+ tbred B can go higher, especially with a DLT3C stepping (lower default voltage)

I have a aother question does anyone have a clear diagram or a link to were i can get it of how to unlock the processor ???

Yeah, which one and for what purpose. Unlock Palomino for all miltis or "unlock" T-Bred for 1/2 of the multis?

Back