• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with installing a PRO AGP card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxlaser5

Registered
My friend has a Soyo Dragon KT400 Ultra Platinum board and an ATI All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro video card. He installed the video card and complained about the quality of the video output. I looked at his computer and here are some observations:
1) The AGP slot on the Soyo board has a red sticker and it said only use for a PRO graphic card. What do we do with that read sticker? My understanding is that we need to remove the red sticker and the plastic insert before we can install a "PRO" video card but the ATI "PRO" card could be installed without removing that plastic insert.
2) Close to the AGP slot, there is a power connector which also states that for "PRO" graphic card only. I can not figure out if we need to provide power to this connector (hooking up the power supply output to this connector) or this connector provides power needed for a "PRO" card (hooking up the cable from the video card to this connector).

Currently, his computer did not use any of these 2 "for PRO use only" things. There is 1 connector on the video card but he connected it to the power connector that comes out of the PS itself. Thanks.

The newest 8x cards, particularly the geforceFx5900 Ultra, have a power connector like a case fan that should jack into that power connector b/c they require more juice that what the 8x slot can put out. So if u don't have wiring of that nature sticking off the card then ignore that. AGP Pro cards have more pins to connect and they use that front portion, if u are not using it then keep the plastic tab in there with the sticker if u remove it the card can shift around more if it is not using those connections. it is a shame sounds like your friends card has a misleading name

Edit: you did mention that he connected the card to the power supply? u should use the little connector next to the AGP slot for that, i don't think it will hurt anything but i don't recommend jacking it straght into the connections of the power supply, the one on the board is made for the graphics card

ogboot said:
The newest 8x cards, particularly the geforceFx5900 Ultra, have a power connector like a case fan that should jack into that power connector b/c they require more juice that what the 8x slot can put out. So if u don't have wiring of that nature sticking off the card then ignore that. AGP Pro cards have more pins to connect and they use that front portion, if u are not using it then keep the plastic tab in there with the sticker if u remove it the card can shift around more if it is not using those connections. it is a shame sounds like your friends card has a misleading name

Edit: you did mention that he connected the card to the power supply? u should use the little connector next to the AGP slot for that, i don't think it will hurt anything but i don't recommend jacking it straght into the connections of the power supply, the one on the board is made for the graphics card

Thanks for your reply. He bought the ATI 9700 All-in-Wonder. The box says "PRO" and there is a connector on the board that the manufacturer suggested to connect it between the power connector and the hard drive (wiring like a 4-pin fan). He connected it as the manual said. At first I wanted to connect that wire to the connector on the motherboard but did not dare to do that because that connector on the motherboard only provide 12V on 2-pin and there is no voltage on the other 2 while the wiring from the ATI card has 4 wires. I would say that's a PRO card but was surprised to find out that it does not have "extra pins" to use that special portion on the AGP slot. I am all confused now.

just like 8X there is 8xPro (there is also 4xPro etc). i have never had a "pro" card that used the extra slots, but i imagine they have increased bandwidth. i would also really recommend plugging the 4pin connector from the vid card to the connector labeled "for pro use only" it is made for that i dunno about jacking into a plug coming straight from the power supply like that, however it doesn't sound like its hurting anything

Hey amd390, what is up with the one liners? You are not helping anyone out here by simply saying that you agree.

The "Pro" on the video card and the "Pro" for the mobo are two different terms. The ATI "Pro" is just telling you it is better than lesser models of that video card. I would recommend leaving the sticker in place unless your card WILL fit into the extra space. Most cards will not use the mobo "pro" agp slot.

Back