• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Un-cool "cool mod"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuda

Those of you who, like me purchased the SmartFan II with the "cool" led mod, may want to take note.

I turned this machine up to 219*11 the other day and started testing. It failed, but that isn't the point. Today I made some BIOS changes and upped the Vcore to 1.8. I started Prime95 and noticed my temps starting to get in the scary range 50-51 after an hour of prime. I lapped the heat sink when I put it on over the weekend using 800-100-1200-1500. It glows like a mirror. I even tested cpu contact by installing it then removing it to check for a complete cpu core pattern. I cleaned core and H/S and reinstalled (using AS3 of course). I say all this so no body will ask if I lapped the sink.

Any way, I started thinking about that light mod. There it was sitting on top of the fan glowing "very pretty" as my three year old said. Then it hit me. The plastic it's made of was covering at least 20-25% of the fan. Surely it was restricting some air flow.

Needless to say I pulled it off. Now my full load temps after an hour of Prime95 are 45C. A FIVE degree gain! Still not great, but I think I'll move the light mod to an exhaust fan (help with that positive case pressure;) and use the 5 degrees for a little more FSB.

nothign wrong with thermal take, they simply make thigns that perform ok, but look cool , get thermal take if you want the coolest looking stuff, and thermal right if you want the best performing imo.

Coolmod is dumb. The black/orange version of the sf2 off a volcano 11 is pretty cool though.

dguy6789 said:
nothign wrong with thermal take, they simply make thigns that perform ok, but look cool , get thermal take if you want the coolest looking stuff, and thermal right if you want the best performing imo.

Thats what I don't like about them, they sell stuff on coolness. I was gonna say, prey on stupid people but I don't really see whats so bad about that.

i have there xaser 2 6000 case right now for a few reasons, looks cooler then any of my friends cases :) is big and fits lots of stuff, is aluminum and is quite light, and it has a temp sensor and front usb and stuff, plus it has them cool legs. hehe

hehe personally i dont think its worth the extra bucks to get that "cool mod" =d which is why boht my sf2s dont have that =d save me a few bucks for lunch =d

It seemed like a good idea at the time. But in retrospect, duh.
It will still look good, on an exhaust fan!

Il say what i normaly say about all tt products

It looks Kool but isnt Cool! :D

and anyway i think the slk*** hsinks look alot better than any thing tt have to offer!

The difference between the smart fan 2 and the smart fan 2 cool mod is ver obvious and simple.

Regular Smaert Fan 2- Made for those wanting a high cfm cooling soulition.

Cool Mod Case Fan 2- Made for those case modders who are willing to sacrifce a little cooling performance for a cool looking fan.

So there is nothing wrong with the cool mod, it is just geared toward a different genre of overclockers. :D

Back