• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the good the bad the ugly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bassbeatz

Here is a shopping list of a system build i am doing for a neighbours sister.{on its way right now help}

I am building the system to spec ie: i cant{trust me i would} over clock it as i am not going to risk someone elses money to knacker something up.
But what would be nice is some of you tech guys to comment on what i have purchased and if it was mine what would be the system spec or posibiltys of o/cing cpu ,grfx card on what i have bought.

This would then correct me for my next build for myself to which the hammer and chiesel will be used to crank some more mhz i hope i have done alright on my choice for her,and hope she doesn't mind me using her as a guinea pig to build my next system,but hay i aint charging,but her dood is bigger than me!

There is also a 15 tft monitor and a few power leads ect on the final bill of £700 incl tax @17.5% cost price no profit.

the below prices are + tax @17.5%

1 x Sony 48x24x48x16 Combo Black - £36.46

1 x Samsung 52x Internal IDE CD-ROM Drive (Black) - £10.82

1 x JNC 4JA 8850 Nokia Style Grey ATX Midi Tower Case 300w £15.02

1 x Seagate Barracuda 60GB 7200rpm UDMA100 IDE Hard Drive £45.60

1 x Crucial PC2700 512mb DDR 184pin DIMM £57.82

1 x Asus A7V8X-X SKT A KT400 8x AGP DDR Sound/lAN/USB 2.0 £43.92

1 x AMD ATHLON XP2100+ Boxed Inc Heatsink & Fan with 3year warranty £48.70

1 x Inspire 2.1 2400 - 2 X 4.5w Rms Satelites 12w Rms Subwoofer £26.58

1 x Gainward GeForce4 PowerPack! Pro/600-8X AGP Golden Sample 64MB MX440 With VIVO £59.72

1 x Panasonic Floppy Drive 1.44mb - £4.69

1 x D-link Dfm-562is 56kbps Pci Bus Software-based Modem Card Conexant V.90 V.92/k56flex With 2 Rj-11 Ports £15.00

:rolleyes: DOES IT MATTER WHAT DAY YOU HAVE OFF,THEY ALL END IN Y............................................

Geforce3ti200 or 3ti500 would be a much better choice if u can still find one for about the same amount as the graphics card your planning on using.

Any Nforce2 board would be better.

Well for a system built to spec theres not much to comment about other than is going to be silent (Zalmans heatsink, Power supply).

Im going to second Hangtens posting and add to with some specifics....

Im going to try and stay within your price ranges for your products when i give my altrernatives:

As for motherboard i would say that an nf2 or even a kt600 would be a better choice. I think that if you are looking for the most performance you should check out one of the shuttle an35n nforce 2 ultra boards they run in at about 70 bucks us which should be about the same price in pounds. Also if you need features you should check out the msi or gigabyte kt600 boards, they are preaty cheap and come loaded with tons of onboard features.

As far as vidoe cards honestly I would have to say that you should check out the radeon 8500le 128mb cards. The should be about the same price as the card you are looking at. and if you are a gamer i have real about this because ive had a geforce 3 and an ati 8500 the 8500 will destroy not only the geforce 3, but also alot of gforce 4 ti 4200s. However if you are a linux user or simply not a gamer... nvidia all the way, however even if you need an nvidia you should check out the fx5200 cause they have dual monitor support... which is dope as all H377

Any way the rest of the stuff looks good... Hoped this all helped.

OptPrime

Last edited:
thanx guys,im giving this system a new 1.6 duron next week,would a burn in process be needed on a new chip.
i will run a bench mark on the system build and post on this thread

ya a burn in well definatly be in order for that one. Im not sure what the stock voltage is on those things but i would just ramp it up about .2 - .3 and the multiplyer down really low.

I was just wondering are you going to try and connect the bridge that enables the extra chache? And what made u decide to go with the durry instead of maybe a tbred b 1700+?

Prime

Optimus Prime,thanx for your comments,im affraid im not up on my cpu tech,but have o/c three durons with pencil,and feel safe with this brand ,but you mentioned the L2 cache,i am using at this moment a duron 800mhz clocked to 922mhz,it was running a 1GHZ but i coud not get the system stable,core 1.90. are the 800 duron locked at 64k or can i cook this one some more and the duron 1.6 what am i likely to get out of this,the 1.6s are selling for £31 but i can go a few more $s if you can recommend what cpu i need and do i need to use liquid silver tecnique.

hope that all makes sense

Back