• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP-M Compatibility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

speedy4500

I just discovered that newegg has THIS which interests me greatly. Low heat, 266 bus (all my motherboard can handle), and 512k cache. Just wondering about the compatibility with desktop motherboards (specifically my NV7-133R). Does anyone have experience or may have heard about these things working on desktops?

I have run two different mobile chips in my system. The first was a mobile XP 1600 that was a Tbred A. It worked fantastically in my 8K3A+ and did 2.1GHz. The next was the 2500 from Newegg in NF7-S and 8RDA+. I got it to 2.5GHz in the 8RDA+ but the NF7-S had a hard time POSTing with the mobile chip.

~THT

I wonder if you could modify it to think it's a desktop chip? I doubt my laptop would support the upgrade. It currently has a Thoroughbred A 1800+, do you think that this chip would run in it?

I think it would just be worth it to get a barton instead of this wouldnt it? I have an 8rda+, the heat issue though is keeping me interested in this chip, I really have no idea what I should do.

2500-M.jpg

Check out that stepping. IQXEA. Sounds interesting.

I was digging around the AMD site looking for tech docs on the XP-M and couldn't find jack. I want to figure out that OPN: FQQ4C. All I can figure is the last two characters; 4C = 512kb L2 and a 266 bus.

What's the default voltage? I get 1.087V by back figuring PIE

EDIT: 68.3W / 1.65V = 41.39amps. 45W / 41.39amps = 1.087V
^^^^^^^^^stock 2500 numbers

Would they have done something crazy, like lock the multipliers?

Krowa 02 said:
I think it would just be worth it to get a barton instead of this wouldnt it? I have an 8rda+, the heat issue though is keeping me interested in this chip, I really have no idea what I should do.

According to an AMD page, XP-M with 512k cache is based on the Barton core, but with a 266 bus. My motherboard doesn't support desktop Barton's 333/400 bus. I don't see a reason for me to upgrade motherboard other than to enable me to get a much faster proc and/or an 8x AGP card, neither of which I feel would produce enough of a performance gain to warrant the purchases. This processor however, would give me a little extra boost for not much cash, and with a lower heat production, would allow me to remove some decibels from my system. It would hold me over for maybe 6-9 months until A64s or Prescotts start to become affordable, at which point I'd construct a new box altogether.

I also sent an email to Abit asking if they've tested this chip or have any information on it, but have not received a reply as of this moment. If they tell me it won't work, I'm skipping over it, but if they are unsure, I think I may just buy it and try it out.

UberBlue, I too searched AMD's website for info on the XP-M w/ 512k cache and all I could find was some PR rhetoric...I was hoping for pin diagrams, voltage/power reqs, that kinda stuff. Damn you AMD!!!

EDIT: I did find, however, on an X-bit page, that 2400+ mobile processors come in DTR, which should allow use in any motherboard, and medium range formats, but are NOT offered in low voltage model (<- they only go up to 1800+). This increases the change that this "mystery processor" would work in my machine.

Last edited:
I'm bettin it would work.

I see you have an Abit NV7-133R. Knowing Abit you could get a desktop 2500, select (or wire-mod) a 14x multiplier with a 133MHz FSB and keep keep the stock speed, only with DDR 2600. Either way sounds exciting.

At some point, I'd like to see a comparison on the bridges between a mobile and a desktop chip. Maybe you can make it think it's suposed to be in a desktop? But, you probably won't need to. I think the main thing you have to worry about is your motherboard recoginising the CPU AND the extra cache.

Back