• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

brand new MCX462-V and cpu 62c????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dirknar

Registered
Asus a7v333 - latest bios
athlon 2000+ and a 2800+
saphire 9600 pro 128mb
maxtor 80 gig hd 7200
creative audigy x-gamer
xp home edition

i have just treid to do an upgrade from a 2000+ to a 2800+
and a MCX462-V from swiftec just released friday... i installed the 2800+ and went straight to the bios and the temp was at 59c going up to 62c so i shut it off and reinstalled the heatsink and oh ya a 92mm FREAKEN tornado fan wich is way to loud... to make sure that i did it right and a paper thin layer of arctic silver 3. tuned it back on and same temps it even froze up when booted to windows, so i checked one more time that everything was right and it was the first time too.. not an expert but not necessarilly a noobie either.

i have 4 case fans 3 80mm and one 92 mm 2 blowing in 2 blowing out case temp is around 83f 450psu with 2 more fans

so i put my 2000+ w/MCX462-V back in and temps are at 45c idle, wich should be way lower also using ASUS Probe..
have tried motherboard monitor but it doesnt work very good with my mb

if you guys havent seen this heatsink check it out at swiftnets.com its freaken huge and its supposed to be the ****nit.

needless to say im stumpeded??

This might sound like a seating issue. Make sure that the heatsink is installed in the right way in terms of cam-box oriention and that the screws on both sides of the cooler is screwed in enough to create a tight (but not excessivly tight) "feel" when it's on the CPU. The heat sink should not wobble when touched with a fair amount of force on the CPU.

thanks for posting

ya i reinstalled it 3 times each time cleaning and reaplying as3
and each time the imprint on the heatsink looked perfect. and you can only loosen the screws to a certain point which applies the pressure

i forgot to mention that the asus a7v333 rev. 1.xx that i have doesnt officially support 333fsb, but the latest bios says that it does, and i have flashed them in.
the a7v333-x "officialy" supports 333fsb
but that still doesnt explain why the 2000+ is still at 45C idle

onto.... but i acually took it off because it was only making a 2 degree change and the noise it makes isnt worth that. now i just have a generic 92mm fan blowing air in

not at all it feels very secure.. the bottom is very nicely lapped almost mirror.. i just took it off again and applied the grease that it came with,( arctic alumina) still no change... im very confused, because its such a quality product and all the reviews are so good. i dont know what else to do.. the only thing i can think is maybe its something in the bios.. Asus kind of just abandoned reviseing the bios for this board since the a7v333-X came out

Yeah im definately thinking it is a problem with the bios, did you check and make sure the voltage in the bios isnt to high, some people default over 2.0v in some cases, (this is a bios prob) so that may be be causing your high temps. Also try and see what it sets the fsb to in the bios, it could be off too.

Hmm, man I dunno, im stumped, you say it gives you 45 idle with the other cpu (which seems high to me with that new cooler and a tornado), I guess that your board is just not compatible.:( You could ask on the asus forums.(I believe they have forums)

EDIT: I meant what does it default to when you have the new chip in?

Last edited:
yu know the bios has three settings for chip besides multipliers and such.
Manual

1667 is what the 2000+ runs at
and 2083 was there after i flashed the latest bios in before i even got the 2800+ chip
and it doesnt defalt to any of them it just go to what i already had it set to.. the 1667 for my 2000+

??????

It's either a bios problem that reports too high of a temp, or it's that you didn't tighten down the heatsink enough. Probably the latter.

With the MCX462-V mounting system, there is NO way to NOT tighten it down enough, once the tension screws have retracted all the way, there is no possible way to increase pressure between the CPU and the HS.

You may have to remove your mobo and visually check for yourself if the HS is sitting on the core correctly.

well the imprint of ac3 has been perfect all four times i installed it
is it possible that the boards bios is telling the chip that its overclocking it even though it isnt?/////

because when i set the bios to run the chip at 2083 mhz a cation note comes up and tells me that i must make sure that my processor supports it..

i still think its something with the bios

Back