• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8kha+ and 12.5x multiplier limit!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris-the dude

I've got this 8kha+ board I've been running an xp 1700 in for a while, and I just bought myself a new xp 2400 without doing a whole lot of research. When I plugged the new 2400 in, I notice the multiplier is set at (and won't go above) 12.5 - odd, since the processor is supposed to be at 15. I know I could just raise the same clock speeds, but I'm looking for more flexibility in my overclocking paths.

I tried setting the multiplier to 7.5 and 8 in the bios, but I only succeeded in giving myself an expensive 1000 MHz processor.

Also, I flashed my board with the latest bios from epox's website today which is the 8khi3425.

I've been searching forums all evening and can't find a whole lot of definitive information on the subject. There was a guy here who couldn't get his xp 1700 above 12.5here. There was another thread here that talked around the problem a little, but it sounds like it should work with the newest bios.

ideas? suggestions? I'm thinking I paid a little much for this xp 2000+ proccessor sitting in my computer right now.

Last edited:
What revision of board do you have?

Version 1.3 will only go up to a XP200+

Version 2.0 will go up to a XP2600+

I wonder if that is your problem. I do not think any type of BIOS update can add any more multipliers but I could be wrong. The BIOS when you update it may "say" you have those functions but they may not work with Revision 1.3.

Is that 2400 a T-Bred?

yeah, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that its a rev. 1.3 board. And yes, I'm pretty sure the xp2400+ is a tbred. I've just got the fsb running at 160mhz right now which gives me 2Ghz and a 2400+ rating. I don't think my WD hard drive likes much higher fsb though - I've had to reinstall my OS twice after trying to get up to 166 fsb. bleh

Now is there anyway the "manual" setting of the multipliers on the CPU will help you any here?

I'd really rather not try messing with modifying the cpu. I'm really nervous that if the motherboard still didn't recognize the multiplier after I modified the chip (assuming I did it right) that I'd really be up $hit creek..

I've had to reinstall my OS about 4 times this week because it kept failing to boot after overclocking to ~166fsb, even when I took the mobo back down to safe settings - not real sure what thats about, but its very frustrating.

I think its time to either resell the processor or get a new mobo.

I have no idea how much idea you know about computers so I am just pulling at straws to see if I can think of anything.

What is your FSB set to?
Is that T-Bred you have a 266 or a 333 model?

I'd say I know a fair deal about computers.

I've got the 266 model. Like I said, I've been playing with the fsb speed and it really starts messing up the hard drive past ~160. I've been browsing the amdmb.com forums for more info on my problem for the past week or so - it appears that with a rev 2 board, I should be able to get multipliers up to 16 or so, but I just haven't been able to.

I put my old proccessor (xp1700)back in at the moment and am running at stable speeds until I get more time to play with it. If I can't get it to work soon, I think I'm just going to sell the new processor and wait for an athlon 64

Back