• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to attach temp probe to CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wannaoc

I am upgrading to the NF7-S and know the temps on that thing are "different". I figure a temp probe will be the best way to go. I am planning on taping a thin probe I have just touching the side of the chip under the w/b. Any other ideas, comments, or complaints on this?

I have just fitted a temp probe to my h/s/f - I removed the heatsink, looked where the thermal paste WASN'T then used electrical insulation tape to attatch it.
I was a bit concerned that the glue on the tape would melt and cause problems but so far so good.
My barton 2500 is running at an indicated 28.8 c o/c'd to 2110.
Can't say for sure if it would be ok with a water block but like all things pc related it's trial and error.

Hope that helps some.

a blow toarch with plasma rosebud tip and some bubble gum? :D

i was thinking aobut this a while ago and i came to the conclusion that i would need to see the actual sensor to give more advice.
what i would like to see in the next revision of the cascade is a cutout with a thermal diode inserted :D

wannaoc said:
I am upgrading to the NF7-S and know the temps on that thing are "different". I figure a temp probe will be the best way to go. I am planning on taping a thin probe I have just touching the side of the chip under the w/b. Any other ideas, comments, or complaints on this?

That's exactly what I had done at one point, and it worked great. But then like a dope, when I switched it back over to H20, I forgot in my haste to get the water in and start bleeding the system out, to reattach the probe.... :rolleyes:

But yes, this will work fine. I had a twin LCD "CompuNurse" hooked up, with one probe taped to the CPU like you stated. One of these days, I'll pull the waterblock off and put the probe back on.

B.

Back