• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How noisy are Deltas at 5V?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevral

Registered
If you have a fan controller that can output 5 volts at minimum setting, how loud would a Delta, Tornado, or similar high-performance fan be?

Thinking that with the Papst/Enermax setup I am currently running, I will get a lot of "useless" adjustment range, since they aren't all that noisy at full speed.

I have never used a delta on a controller but I know that depending on the model they can be very loud at full speed. I would assume, but am not positive, that running them are 5v would get them down to nearly a whisper.

Thank You,
Daniel

While the fan blades are decently silent when running on low voltage, there is still more noise than a quiet fan.
Most of the noice at 5V comes from the motor. Deltas(and clones) has a very powerful magnets and some powerful coils to move the blades. Those tend to be optimized for speed. At low speed they tend to emit a low humming noise and create some vibrations(which can be silenced with soft rubber grommets or something).

Less "whooosh" but more "br.r.r.r.r.r.r"

I actually like the b.r.r.r.r.r noise, sounds really threatening!
A bit like a V8 engine at idle... doesn't make much noise, but you know it will once the damn pedal gets *"¤##! nailed to the floor!!

There's also a possibility that at 5V they will be dead silent, i.e. not spinning at all, that's due to the more powerful fans having stronger magnets, and 5V not providing enough push for the coils to act against them. If you need to start them at a higher speed then turn them all the way down, keep a very close eye on them, it's possible they will stop.

regards,

Road Warrior

I have a Delta 120mm that I've run at 5v. It didn't have any problem running undervolted. However, it's still far from quiet. If you already OWN the Delta fan, and you just want to quiet it... try it at 5v and see if you like it. If this is a purchasing question, I'd go with an already 'quiet' fan.

Tornado's are just stupid... way too noisy for the CFM you get.

vonkaar said:

Tornado's are just stupid... way too noisy for the CFM you get.

And deltas arent??

The tornados may be loud, but nothing is more annoying than the very high pitched sound of those deltas. (The tornados arent nearly as high pitched.)

Now boys lets not bicker ;)

I got the really powerful 120mm delta as an intake...all I can say is wow. It's soo fookin loud. 7volted the sucker and it is still too loud...it's just all that wooshing of air. So I unplugged the sucka hehehe...can't get quiter than that :)

Shrug... I hate Delta's too =p

If you want high CFM, go for a pabst or a comair... if you want loud noise, vacuum your living room.

Probably going to avoid the Deltas. Heard a 120mm version in the store today, and decided I would need to be doing some serious overclocking to want one of those anywhere near my box!

Back