• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Someone, please tell me why my HyperX 3500 will not go over 380MHz???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Motley

OK, i'm very frustrated. My entire system is brand new (see sig.), and I just plunked down $250 on 1G Kingston HyperX 3500 CL2 (2x512), ..and I can't even come close to 400fsb!

If I set the fsb to 400 (10.5x200), then I get BSOD crashes, Prime95 fails instantly. I relaxed the mem timings, I've tried One stick, two sticks, singe channel, dual channel, ..to no avail.

I have the system stable at 2375MHz (12.5x190), but shouldn't this ram be able to run up to 434MHz instead of 380MHz?

Someone please help...

You should make sure that your processor is running stable @ 400 MHz DDR. You could lower the 11 x 200 fsb = 2200 as first try. You could also try 11 x 220 fsb = 2420. Increase VCORE to maximum it allows, perhaps another 15% from default. You may also need better heatsink? Check heatsink position for CPU and Chipset for assurance.

Don't use any high performance setting in BIOS, and let the memory timings run at normal speed 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 7 with 2.7V VDIMM

In my opinion, the memory modules are not the problem. The problem is either processor or chipset.

You need to increase chipset voltage too. There are plenty OC website relates to chipset voltage mod such as: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php
http://www.vr-zone.com/

good luck buddy

asw7576 said:
In my opinion, the memory modules are not the problem. The problem is either processor or chipset.

I completely disagree with you. For him to not hit 200FSB with mem designed to run ~215FSB that means his mem is busted. Plus that is a higher end brand of memory, not some cheap stuff. It should be able to hit stock without any major vDimm adjustments. Also why would the cpu affect the memspeed & FSB?

RMA tha RAM.

--Illah

kingston hyperX rates pretty lowly on the compatibily-with-nforce-boards chart.

its either the psu, or the memory. VERY doubtfull its the psu, so i say memory aswell. there is a possiblity it could be the boards itself, but that too is doubtful.
Illah said:
.....Plus that is a higher end brand of memory, not some cheap stuff. It should be able to hit stock without any major vDimm adjustments. Also why would the cpu affect the memspeed & FSB?

RMA tha RAM.

--Illah
acgrred. Even my "cheap stuff" twinmos pc3200 does well over 200mhz at defult voltage

OK, so I'm not freaking out about nothing,, geeeez. I just got this mem like, 2 days ago....

I wonder if this mem will even run with my mb, even if i get RMA?

I'm actually kinda satisfied with the performance right now, I mean, I'm running at 3200+ speeds right now, and stable.

..but as a small time OC guy, should i be?

Get your money's worth and return it. If it can't even run stock don't just settle for it. Remember consumer ed: Vote with your dollars! It's the only vote that matters!

--Illah

Well fellas, good call... the memory is BAD, I tested it last night using memtest 3.0, for 2hrs, and it had like 16 errors!

I just called Kingston for an RMA, I'll let y'all know how the new mem works out...

peace,

Motley

I have HyperX and had a very hard time getting it to go fast. I would reinterpret their speed rating as "you might go this fast under the perfect conditions" instead of, "This memory should go this fast."

That's true, but I actually underclocked my system to 12.5x100 @ 1250MHz, then ran the memtest, and it came up with errors.

Going through all this trouble of RMA, waiting days to get it back, all I can say is it better run at least 400MHz!!!

MRip, what are your mem timings?

Back