• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

peltier and air cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blunt

Just a question to try and understand a little better. can you air cool a peltier with say a high end hsf like mine or better? or do you have to have water cooling or better?

but i can use one for my nb and air cool it with what? whats considered a good hsf for that?

You will want to use a reasonable sized heatsink maybe something like what you would put on an old PIII or something. The hotsides of Pelts get hot and fast if you don't have proper cooling of the hotside you may end up heating up your NB instead of cooling it. I have succesfully cooled smaller pelts with the PIII heatsink and the two 40MM's that usually come with it. If it gets loud try to run the fans and or the pelt at 5v instead of 12v.

~Dan

Also it helps a a lot if you can seperate the hotside from the cold side with a spacer block. This keeps the heat from radiating back to the pelt and you NB. Try to get an aluminum or copper spacer block. You will want to have it in this order.

HSF touching hotside, pelt, coldside touching spacer block, spacer block on your NB be sure to add some insualtion around the spacer. You can cut out some styrofoam or get self adhesive gaskets.

~Dan

What coolerbydesign is referencing as a "spacer block" is actually called a "coldplate". Anytime you use a peltier (TEC) you MUST use a coldplate.

The coldplate goes between the coldside of the peltier and the CPU. Thermal energy does not conduct well across the surface of the peltier, so the coldplate lets the entire cooling power of the peltier be used to cool the smaller area of the CPU die.

BTW: Coolerbydesign, you can use the edit button that is under your post to add afterthoughts or correct typos instead of making another post. It keeps things cleaner and makes your points come across more clear.

Welcome to the forums. :beer:

Last edited:
As a coldplate? No.

This is a picture of a pelt (work with me here ;) ). The white square is the entire coldside of the pelt, the black area is the size of a CPU die. If you do not use a coldplate, you will only be using the cooling power of the black square, instead of the cooling power of the entire white area.

coldplate.jpg

Last edited:
ok so where is a good place to buy a nb peltier and cold plate? CHEAP

All you need for a coldplate is a block of copper of appropriate size. This might help:

Coldplate materials and thickness
http://www.overclockers.com/articles305

I strongly encourage you to read that article in the link.

Actually, upon looking back at some links of mine, coolerbydesign was correct in calling it a spacer block as is noted in this quote:

"Air cooled TEC's require thicker cold plates to move the CPU as far away as possible from the hot side (the heat sink) and reduce parasitic heat radiated back by the heat sink towards the cold side. In that case, cold plates are actually referred to as "spacer blocks". We use copper blocks as thick as 1/2" for this.
The issue is not as critical in liquid cooled setups:

If the liquid is not actively cooled, your water block temp is going to be comprised between 35C and 45C. A 1/4" spacer is sufficient in my experience. If the liquid is also cooled, then the water block's temp is ..whatever.. and a thinner 1/8" spacer is perfectly acceptable.

There are many factors to consider in any assembly. Absolute performance is often traded-off for mechanical or economical reasons.

Altogether, the ultimate goal is to (achieve) a good compromise, dictated by the 'flavor' you want to give to your (system)."

If you would like to learn almost everything there is to know about pelts, you can read some of these links also:

Colin said:

Follow the "peltier info" link to find places to buy peltiers - you won't want to go to a site that specializes in computer cooling or you will pay a premium.

Last edited:
thank you so much for all your help looks like ive got some reading to do oh well can't use it yet waiting on my water cooling rig to come in

Back