• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Athlon 64 3000+ a mobile processor only?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
http://www.overclockers.com/tips00463/
vs.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20030923141716.html

EDIT: never mind. Thanks to cherryp00t for confiirming that there will be both 3000+ mobile as well as Desktop.

cherryp00t said:
how can it be mobile when its listed under

Desktop Replacement (DTR)
AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Price
3200+ $417
3000+ $278

2. Does anyone know if Athlon 64 3200+ is based on Paris core or what?

OC Detective among others begged to differ saying Athlon 64 3200+ was not going to be based on Paris core but on some sort of a different cut down ClawHammer core... http://www.pbase.com/image/17079307/original

Last edited:
We will know some time in the future, but I sure as hell hope that its a desktop chip also, amd would be doing themselves a huge favor as alot of people would probably rush to them since they would probably be much cheaper.

Was Ed aware of the existence of the mobile 64 3000+ when he wrote the article?

3200+ $417
3000+ $278

Athlon FX's and Opterons are sledgehammers (there is essentially no difference between the two) whilst A64 is clawhammer - Paris yet to be released - but then you knew I would say that!

Last edited:
Athlon 64 FX and Athlon 64 3xxx+ are two different cores.
Athlon 64 FX core is ClawHammer and the other one is ... :) Par... no, what's it called? he-he no one knows, Detective is saying.

Props to cherryp00t for confiirming that there will be both 3000+ mobile as well as Desktop.

cherryp00t said:

3200+ $417
3000+ $278

(why is 64 3200+ $465 at newegg...)

A64 XP3200 is the clawhammer NOT the FX64 - and as the FX51 is exactly the same as the Opteron 1xx then it has to be a sledgehammer!

Last edited:
Yes, there is no difference between the 940 pin Opteron 1xx and the 940 pin Athlon 64 FX.

Making the Athlon 64 FX core name: SledgeHammer.

But then you're saying that ClawHammer has No dual-channel memory access and Registered DIMM is not required for ClawHammer.

That is 100% correct
Check the FAQ's at amd.com
The FX's have been issued as high end desktop even though they are essentially server Opteron's or sledgehammers whereas the A64's are clawhammers.
"www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/SellAMDProducts/0,,30_177_4458_3505^4699^7980^7986,00.html"
Cut and paste inside quotes

You are going to have to stop clinging to the belief they are Paris's sometime lol! If you think the A64 is a Paris that means the clawhammer has not yet been released!

Last edited:
Maybe one more thread on the subject and opinions of a few more people and I'll change it but Paris was always supposed to have been characterized by No dual-channel memory access and registered DIMM not being required.

Now it seems that those are the characteristics of a processor core ClawHammer.

What is Paris core then, the Socket 754 chip that will only work in 32 bit mode and not 64 bit mode and thus will not have the Athlon 64 official name, is that the premise now?

How will Paris be labeled, at what frequencies (from a speculative point of view)?

c627627 said:
Maybe one more thread on the subject and opinions of a few more people and I'll change it but Paris was always supposed to have been characterized by No dual-channel memory access and registered DIMM not being required.

Now it seems that those are the characteristics of a processor core ClawHammer.

What is Paris core then, the Socket 754 chip that will only work in 32 bit mode and not 64 bit mode and thus will not have the Athlon 64 official name, is that the premise now?

How will Paris be labeled, at what frequencies (from a speculative point of view)?
The Paris was always going to be a downgraded version of the clawhammer either lesser cache or as you say only 32 bit capable. I havent read about the no dual channel memory access bit or no registered DIMMS.

Oh yes, no dual channel memory access bit and no registered DIMMS is 100%, trust me, don't make me look for links needlessly.

Thanks for your link though which now works, here we go:
The upcoming AMD Athlon 64 processor was formerly code named “ClawHammer.” There is no difference between “ClawHammer” and the upcoming AMD Athlon 64 processor.

What?? Which Athlon 64? The 3xxx+ or the FX 5x??

This doesn't help us because we already have 64 FX being ClawHammer.
You're saying 64 3xxx+ is ClawHammer.

They're both Athlon 64's. One is FX and the other 3xxx+. This does not help us solve the core name question.

But FX is the SledgeHammer... OK

Yes it does help us solve it - they extended the line to include the FX but which is still the sledgehammer core (as we know as it is the same as the Opteron) after these FAQ's were released.

c627627 said:
Oh yes, no dual channel memory access bit and no registered DIMMS is 100%, trust me, don't make me look for links needlessly.

But FX is the SledgeHammer... OK
I tried searching on google to no avail about DIMMS and memory access - This is what i came up with.
http://endian.net/details.asp?ItemNo=3841
anyway that is pretty irrelevant because if the FX is a sledgehammer then the A64 has to be a clawhammer.

OC Detective said:

I tried searching on google to no avail about DIMMS and memory access
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11689

AMD promises DDR400 for FX 64s

Strange brews

By Charlie Demerjian: Monday 22 September 2003, 08:35

TOMORROW AMD will launch the Athlon 64 chips in both normal and FX flavors. The FX will use ECC/Registered memory, while the normal one will use plain old DDR400. A while ago, we said the FX and Opteron, they are the same, could use ECC/Registered DDR400 if it ever becomes a ‘real’ spec.
Well, during IDF, AMD told us that there would be DDR400 to go along with the FX chips even if the working groups can’t ratify a plan in time.

This memory will be from a major manufacturer, one who is really good at making high performance RAM. While it is probably the same as the eventual ECC/Registered DDR400 spec, no guarantees, but it will work perfectly with the Athlon64 FX chips. Look for it in about 24 hours, it should give the Athlon64 FX scores a big boost.

and more:

754-Pin Athlon 64 (AMD’s 64-bit value proposition) with its single channel memory controller...

That 256 KB cache for Paris by the way is old outdated news not new stuff. There was even an article about how Paris, yes Paris will have 1MB instead of 256 KB cache...

Well if you want to continue to believe that the Paris has been launched and not the clawhammer then I cant change your mind with what I have said. Perhaps it was intended for the clawhammer to have no dual channel memory access bit and no registered DIMMS all along? (Anywhere that says they would have these?) You mentioned the Paris and that is what I searched for in relation to these two issues and not the clawhammer.
One other point - you keep mentioning different cores but the sledgehammer and clawhammer come from exactly the same core - it is their architecture that is different.

Last edited:
Does the name really matter???

at this point we know
A64 FX-51 == Opteron == 940 pins == Registered Ram == something we dont want for our desktops

and we know
A64 == 754 Pins == Non Registered Ram == Athlon XP upgrade

and we Also know that a later revision of the A64 FX will be Socket 939 and will use non Registered ram

That is the cpu WE want, that is the cpu WE want to wait for..

this athlon fx that is out now is just HYPE and something most of us here wont spend our money on..

the 754 socket a64 will be for bargain hunters and the 939 will be for the serious gamers out there.. thats all there is to it

Back