• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Semi Dead PSU for peltier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedArmy

SO as the topic says I have this 450W Enermax PSUthat craped out on me when I remooved all the fans out of it. It would runn my current system sig for 5 min and than reboot. So it works but there;s something wrong with it. I was wondering if I can still use it for 200W petl or is it not advisable ?

From what I've understood, PC Powersupplies aren't really intended for the stress a Peltier would put on it, especially a flaky PSU as you seem to have..

Maybe I'm wrong.

It depends if the PSU's 12volt rail amperage rating is in spec to power a pelt - a 226 watt pelt draws around 20 amps. Not all PSU's are rated to be able to handle that on their 12V line.

You need to find out what is making it unstable... You could check the power of the 12 volt line and see if it is consistent. If there is still no cooling on the PSU then you should put some cooling on it... A power supply needs to be well cooled in order for the power to be consistent.

Can I check the power with one of those voltmeters or what kind of equipment do I need to make sure I can still use the PSU. And I wii make sure to put come cooling on if if I were to power anything with it.

Back