• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does the Athlon 64 do SMP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I never even thought to ask this, I always assumed the answer was yes, but of coarse now that it is released I am a little worried about this subject, especially since I remember finding out that the Pentium 4 wouldn't do SMP. So does anyone know if there are dual, or even quad Athlon 64 boards? Please let me know, Opteron Processors are too expensive for me but I will have to use them if I the Athlon 64 doesn't so SMP. And the Opteron requires registered memory too I believe.

im not really sure....but there are 2 packages of the A64. the single channel A64 is socket 939 and can use unbuffered memory, whereas the A64 FX is socket 940, like the opteron, and i believe uses registered memory. im thinking you may be able to use the A64 FX in an MP config. somebody correct me if im wrong.

I just checked it out, the Athlon 64 has 754 pins, and the Athlon 64 FX DOES have 940 pins, and mentions ECC memory, although I don't know anymore then that.

OC Detective said:
A64 has 54 pins and the FX 64 has 940 - they will transition to 939 next year.

Ok, so that is where he got the 939 from. Either way, I am going to wait until they get the bugs out and make some revisions.

Hopefully they will release a model that supports dual channel unbuffered (non registered) memory.

Back