• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Heatsink Suggestion?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Right now I'm running a watercooling setup that does a nice job I have to admit but I lug around my case quiet freqently and its just getting to heavy for its own good. I get a decent tempature out of it with my setup I have to say that even though I think the airflow really sucks in the case the way I got it set up right now.

I've been looking around and spoted these Zalman CNPS7000-Cu & Thermalright SP-94 Heatpipe for a possible switch. I want something that preforms well enough for my system that I have setup. I have a P4 2.4B @ 3.15 that runs around 35-40C watercooled. Room temp is around 15-28C during the year if not mistaken (yes it gets hot here when the AC isn't on). I plan on upgrading to a newer CPU sometime in the future probley next year when 3.2's come down in price.

Also with my setup I restrict the airflow in the bottom of my case due to the radiator, pump, and res sit which basiclly forces almost all the air though the radiator to get to the rest of the componets. I know its a crappy layout in the case and this would be switched as soon as I get back to a fan setup. I also was wondering what type of a northbridge and other componet cooling solution that you might suggest. I have a IC7-G ver 2 and wanted to cool it a little more to gain some preformance out of it or just to make it look cooler (got 3 windows in my case).

My project is to get around the same ballpark for temps, cleaning up the case to make it look cleaner, adding better cooling to motherboard componets that are hot.

I needed a new project so this sounded fun, watercooling has always been a pain to work with because you always risk the chance of a leak which I can't handle since I need the computer operational anytime I need it to be.

if you want quiet then get a 7000CU.. but if you dont mind a lil noise and want the best performance then get a sp 94 and a good fan( SF2 or even a 92MM tornado =x)

The 7000Cu might not be the best option for those who want to lug their system around often, as it is 300grams over Intel spec weight for a heatsink. Zalman even reccomends removing it while transporting.

SLK with through-mobo mounting would be the best choice for moving - although it requires the removal of your board to get it in. Throw a high-speed Panaflo on there, and it'll be allllll gooooood....

Well right now I got a nice Maze 3 hooked up to the board and I know thats not a light waterblock, and I leave it attached when I move it.

Damn i always hate making choices when it comes down to this.

Now with the SLK how does that run in comparison with the 7000Cu or the SP-94?

For fan wise I'd like to keep noise level at around 40dB if not under, and if needed I can crank it up.

get the sp94 and the 9cm enermax adjustable fan. it rocks and its quiet performs much better than the zalman in my opinion

SP-94 is suppose to be teh better sink.. and it has a bigger base which is good for intel cpus.. so if budget permits i'd go with that.. and a 92 MM fan something with adjustable speeds if possible =d

Oks so if i head with a SP-94, which seems good in my point of view right now anyways, and a 92mm enermax fan.

Another question is does anyone use Digital Doc 5 Plus? Looking at personal use of this device and if its any good. I have always been looking for a nice looking speed controller with a temp sensor in it because my temp sensor is now well JB welded into my watercooling unit :D

Does anyone know if a Zalman ZMNB32J Chipset Cooler (if not mistaken this is what i got), would fit onto my IC7-G Rev 2 board, with that fan it comes with? Or any other suggestions are welcome here.

Also is there any type of coolers out there to cool some of the power regulators on the board? Thanks for all the help so far, just help me with the rest and I'll be back in the air game again.

dude have u checked out the new chipset heatsink from swiftech? if only i kno where to get one

Yea saw that but i've been hearin that my board has a wieght factor with the pins holding the sinks down bust. So im going to stay away from a heavy item like that.

deathman20 said:
Another question is does anyone use Digital Doc 5 Plus? Looking at personal use of this device and if its any good. I have always been looking for a nice looking speed controller with a temp sensor in it because my temp sensor is now well JB welded into my watercooling unit :D

I have the digital doc 5+. Been using it for a month now. It's a good temperature monitoring device with 8 temp sensors. I don't use the automatic on/off fan switching feature cause it's either on full power or off, there's no "partial" power supplied to fans. My fans are not too noisy (mostly stock fans) so I have the fans on at full blast all the time. It's not really a fan speed controller, more like a nice temp sensor device.

If you want fan control get a fan bus controller like the Vantec Nexus. There's a good review on tomshardware.com this week about fan bus controllers.

Thought of that but not 100% sure on it. Then again I already have the other one and probley play with that one before i try anything else with it.

Yea I was looking at that Vantec one too and was reading really good things about it. What about a Coolmaster Aerogate II? It looks to be nice (then again what isn't and turns out to be crap) and has the tempature sensors with fan control I was looking for too.

Oks I guess I got a question with this then, how does a Vantect Tornado 92mm sound when on a low setting with a fan controller? I guess thats really my last question I really have on this before I spend some bucks and buy buy buy :D .

i think a tornado is a tornadoe doesnt matter its still going to be loud or slow and weak

Back